Notification

Icon
Error

LSAgent has forgotten x64 Windows applications

Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 10:14:48 PM(UTC)
cycleheat

cycleheat

Member Original PosterPosts: 17
This issue has been solved! Click here to view the solution
I use lsagent on Windows 7 & 10 64-bit client machines. Today I installed v. 7.1.100.16 on the scanning server and as the agents check in, I've lost part of software inventory.

It appears that all 64-bit applications are reported as being uninstalled, leaving only 32-bit applications in the Lansweeper software inventory of those machines.

Has anyone else seen this too?
JacobH
#1JacobH Member Posts: 170  
posted: 4/14/2019 6:51:27 PM(UTC)
email support@lansweeper.com and post your results/findings here ?? I'm interested in the answer, before I upgrade.
Esben.D
#2Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,834  
posted: 4/15/2019 1:08:07 PM(UTC)
The issue is related to installed MSI software. A fix is already in the works. Once it's been tested a new LsAgent version will be pushed out, Windows LsAgent installs should update automatically at that point.
cycleheat
#3cycleheat Member Original PosterPosts: 17  
posted: 4/24/2019 7:18:12 PM(UTC)
Is there a timeline for when the fix will be available? Or a workaround? The software inventory is pretty crippled :)
thoughtmonkey
#4thoughtmonkey Member Posts: 7  
posted: 4/25/2019 8:06:40 AM(UTC)
I was advised in my post (below) to disable LS Agent scanning, until the bug is corrected.

History Deleting Daily
thoughtmonkey
#5thoughtmonkey Member Posts: 7  
posted: 4/25/2019 1:58:10 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: JacobH Go to Quoted Post
email support@lansweeper.com and post your results/findings here ?? I'm interested in the answer, before I upgrade.

Thank you for contacting Lansweeper support.

There is indeed a known issue in the current Lansweeper version where LsAgent is not scanning MSI software packages. This issue had already been reported to our developers and is currently scheduled for a fix in Lansweeper 7.1.110, our next Lansweeper build.

We don't have an estimated release date for Lansweeper 7.1.110 yet, but we recommend keeping an eye on our changelog for it: https://www.lansweeper.com/changelog/. The LsAgent issue has reference "LAN-2970" in our system and will be referred to as such in our changelog once fixed.

Until the fix is released, if possible, we would recommend scanning the concerning assets with one of the non-agent based scanning targets. If non-agent based scanning is an option, we would suggest temporarily disabling LsAgent scanning by doing one of the following:
• Stopping the Lansweeper Agent Service service in the Services MMC on the clients running LsAgent.
• Adjusting the scan schedule under the Configuration tab of your LsAgent Groups under Scanning\LsAgent Scanning to a high interval (e.g. one month or more).

cycleheat
#6cycleheat Member Original PosterPosts: 17  
posted: 4/25/2019 3:56:08 PM(UTC)
Thanks thoughtmonkey. Using a WMI scan isn't too practical for me right now, but I'll work towards that while waiting for a new agent release. Maybe I'll just remove the agent from the routinely on-premise machines.
krejar
#7krejar Member Posts: 67  
posted: 4/26/2019 9:50:11 PM(UTC)
Something more to add to this, I have the LsAgent on all of my Windows servers and they are now showing as no antivirus installed. I have the LsAgent on all of my Windows PCs and they are showing an antivirus as being installed.
cycleheat
#8cycleheat Member Original PosterPosts: 17  
posted: 4/26/2019 10:32:27 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: krejar Go to Quoted Post
Something more to add to this, I have the LsAgent on all of my Windows servers and they are now showing as no antivirus installed

I don't know for sure, but based on this https://www.lansweeper.c...-virus-software-reports/ it looks like AV info comes from Windows Security Center and also the software list. The software list isn't working with LSAgent so that's out and Windows Server didn't used to have Windows Security Center, just the desktops do (maybe that's changed in recent releases).

Perhaps that's an explanation, the two methods of determining AV aren't finding the software installed.
Esben.D
#9Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,834  
posted: 5/6/2019 12:23:17 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: cycleheat Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: krejar Go to Quoted Post
Something more to add to this, I have the LsAgent on all of my Windows servers and they are now showing as no antivirus installed

I don't know for sure, but based on this https://www.lansweeper.c...-virus-software-reports/ it looks like AV info comes from Windows Security Center and also the software list. The software list isn't working with LSAgent so that's out and Windows Server didn't used to have Windows Security Center, just the desktops do (maybe that's changed in recent releases).

Perhaps that's an explanation, the two methods of determining AV aren't finding the software installed.

Correct!
JacobH
#10JacobH Member Posts: 170  
posted: 5/6/2019 1:20:01 PM(UTC)
Yeah, for servers, it goes off of software installation... which you have to watch out for, considering sometimes uninstallations leave things in add/remove programs... or, the program exists but is not actually running...

so what I do is also check for the necessary services for true determination of antivirus - and you then can make reports on if the services are running or not, or you could use running processes...

hope that helps, because that's the best way to tell with lansweeper as far as I know...

stiwa
#11stiwa Member Posts: 63  
posted: 5/7/2019 8:44:17 AM(UTC)
Any ETA on the fix? It's almost a month now.
CyberCitizen
#12CyberCitizen Member Posts: 210  
posted: 5/9/2019 12:57:53 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: stiwa Go to Quoted Post

One of the reasons I don't upgrade to the latest version until others have tested it :P

Means you miss out on some new features but miss out on all the bugs big and small.

I believe it is scheduled for the next big release, however I would be getting everyone to email support regularly to push the interest in getting it fixed sooner rather than later, as its a big issue for an Inventory System to be missing alot of apps.

I would like to see some more reporting around Windows 10 Store apps as well.
cycleheat
#13cycleheat Member Original PosterPosts: 17  
posted: 5/9/2019 3:57:14 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: CyberCitizen Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: stiwa Go to Quoted Post

...its a big issue for an Inventory System to be missing alot of apps...

I was in the trial period touting Lansweeper as a viable solution for inventory management.

This bug hasn't cast my advice on implementations in the greatest light and honestly, Lansweeper itself too. :)

I feel other similar systems would have rolled an update by now to revert what broke, even if that's the only included fix.
CyberCitizen
#14CyberCitizen Member Posts: 210  
posted: 5/13/2019 2:17:33 AM(UTC)
I do agree, the fix has taken to long. But I wouldn't let that discourage you from Lansweeper its a fantastic product when it works, all software have their issues / quirks. This is one of the main reasons we run a version behind for software, to prevent issues like this. In your case, it hasn't helped for for a small to medium business where SCCM is to costly or to much support work, LS fits in nicely.
David Skjaerpe
#15David Skjaerpe Member Posts: 3  
posted: 5/13/2019 9:29:05 AM(UTC)
No doubt LS is a good product, but to release a new "version" with a bug (and a fairly annoying bug at that); and not being able to provide a fix within a reasonable time is unforgivable.

In addition when support reply "we are aware of the issue, and will release a fix in the next version or two..." - that immediately prevent me to recommend the product to other people.
Esben.D
#16Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,834  
posted: 5/13/2019 3:18:50 PM(UTC)
It's a shame it's taking longer than expected, but I've been told we're close to releasing it. I know it's frustrating for the people who are relying on data from LsAgent.
Esben.D
#17Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,834  
posted: 5/14/2019 2:33:28 PM(UTC)
We just released a new version of both Lansweeper and LsAgent.

LsAgent will update automatically after you've update the main Lansweeper installation.

This partially fixes the issue, however it seems hat 64-bit software (software scanned via HKCU registry locations) is still having issues.
Rocher Vincent
#18Rocher Vincent Member Posts: 2  
posted: 5/15/2019 9:58:30 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Esben.D Go to Quoted Post
We just released a new version of both Lansweeper and LsAgent.

LsAgent will update automatically after you've update the main Lansweeper installation.

The Lansweeper update can be downloaded here: https://www.lansweeper.com/update-lansweeper/

Updated Lansweeper to v. 7.1.110.5 and LsAgent to v. 7.1.110.1 .

Deployed the new LsAgent and "LsAgent Scanning" still forgets 64 bits softwares.

Do we have something else to do?
Esben.D
#19Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,834  
posted: 5/15/2019 10:52:22 AM(UTC)
You should not have to do anything else. I would recommend to verify whether data from a recent scan is in Lansweeper.

In the Scan Time tab of the asset's page you should be able to see when the last LsAgent scan was. If the last scan time was after LsAgent updated, contact our support team.
cycleheat
#20cycleheat Member Original PosterPosts: 17  
posted: 5/15/2019 3:55:49 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Rocher Vincent Go to Quoted Post

Deployed the new LsAgent and "LsAgent Scanning" still forgets 64 bits softwares.

I'm still seeing the same behavior too. The same software is missing and software discovered via WMI is being removed when the agent checks in.
Al Din
#21Al Din Member Posts: 2  
posted: 5/16/2019 7:51:01 AM(UTC)
You should not have to do anything else. I would recommend to verify whether data from a recent scan is in Lansweeper.

In the Scan Time tab of the asset's page you should be able to see when the last LsAgent scan was. If the last scan time was after LsAgent updated, contact our support team.

I can confirm that LsAgent is not yet fixed.
It does show the MSI software now, but not the 64-bit software.

For instance, if you have Office 365 ProPlus 64-bit, 7-Zip 64-bit, Visio 64-bit, Notepad++ 64-bit (or any other) installed they will be gone after LsAgent checks in.
Even if the 64-bit installers are MSI...

So basically...
All from this reg key is scanned by LsAgent:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

NOTHING from this key is scanned by LsAgent:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Also...
Can you not just release a bug-fix release this time instead of letting us wait for the next big Lansweeper release?
Esben.D
#22Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,834  
posted: 5/16/2019 9:17:21 AM(UTC)
From my understanding. LsAgent checks with the scanning server to see if it has the correct version. Therefore, in order to make LsAgent automatically update, Lansweeper needs to updated first.

Our support team confirmed that currently software scanned via HKCU registry keys is having issues, the other issue was resolved it the last patch.

Unfortunately I can't guarantee any sort of time frame, regardless of how much I want to see this fixed too.
Al Din
#23Al Din Member Posts: 2  
posted: 5/16/2019 9:20:50 AM(UTC)
From my understanding. LsAgent checks with the scanning server to see if it has the correct version. Therefore, in order to make LsAgent automatically update, Lansweeper needs to updated first.

Our support team confirmed that currently software scanned via HKCU registry keys is having issues, the other issue was resolved it the last patch.

Unfortunately I can't guarantee any sort of time frame, regardless of how much I want to see this fixed too.

Can you double check that it's only HKCU?
Because here nothing is displayed from this key on a 64-bit Windows when scanned by LsAgent:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
BastiOn
#24BastiOn Member Posts: 14  
posted: 5/16/2019 6:56:58 PM(UTC)
Hy,

we have deaktivated LsAent because, every scan LS add the last installed Software and next try will be deleted in History and so on.

Is this the same bug?

Basti On

Esben.D
#25Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,834  
posted: 5/22/2019 9:08:00 AM(UTC)
A new hotfix has been released for the LsAgent issue.

You can download it here: https://www.lansweeper.com/update-lansweeper/
Rocher Vincent
#26Rocher Vincent Member Posts: 2  
posted: 5/22/2019 12:46:50 PM(UTC)
LsAgent v:7.1.110.2 work well.

But where are a (wrong) warning on Asset Scan Time Page

Last LsAgent Scan: 22/05/2019 13:38:45 - 7.1.110.2 - Warning: Latest LsAgent version is 7.1.110.1
Esben.D
#27Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,834  
posted: 5/22/2019 3:37:55 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Rocher Vincent Go to Quoted Post
LsAgent v:7.1.110.2 work well.

But where are a (wrong) warning on Asset Scan Time Page

Last LsAgent Scan: 22/05/2019 13:38:45 - 7.1.110.2 - Warning: Latest LsAgent version is 7.1.110.1

Yeah I noticed it too. It's a minor thing that was overlooked in the hotfix and will be resolved in the future.

Active Discussions

Lansweeper Asset Value Report
by  RC62N   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: 9/20/2019 7:12:29 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper Display Hyper-V Guest User report
by  GlenTB  
Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: 9/20/2019 2:26:15 PM(UTC)
Report Center Windows Defender Antivirus Broken Scan Audit
by  Esben.D   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: 9/20/2019 12:18:02 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper Reports are empty