Notification

Icon
Error

Force SNMP? - selecting scan methods manually ?

Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2019 6:54:09 AM(UTC)
kuku1122

kuku1122

Member Original PosterPosts: 2
Hi
I have some switches and network devices that I manage VIA web or SSH
I have them all with SNMP enabled and configured for lansweeper.
but lansweeper insists on web or ssh scan since it's open and available for the devices, it will not scan VIA SNMP
I tried to "No SSH" with no luck...and I can't disable web or SSH for them
Web scan does not exist but lansweeper in stuck with many devices as "eHTTP" "lighttpd" or just "webserver" under Model - therefore will not do SNMP

How can manually configure lansweeper to scan a device VIA SNMP or in general "Help" lansweeper with the scan methods when it tries to scan in a method not appropriate for a device?

Thanks!
JacobH
#1JacobH Member Posts: 165  
posted: 4/25/2019 1:11:46 PM(UTC)
Have you scanned with the device tester and verified that SNMP returns information?
andeporter
#2andeporter Member Posts: 4  
posted: 4/25/2019 5:16:32 PM(UTC)
Go to Scanning >> Scanning Credentials and add an SNMP credential that you can then map (Credential Mapping) to the specific devices you are attempting to scan w/ SNMP.
Esben.D
#3Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,768  
posted: 4/26/2019 9:29:46 AM(UTC)
Lansweeper is designed to use data from the most extensive protocol open. If both SNMP and HTTP are open on a network device, it should automatically use SNMP since it provides much more data.

it's best you do as Jocob suggested and check whether SNMP actually returns data.
JacobH
#4JacobH Member Posts: 165  
posted: 4/26/2019 2:01:30 PM(UTC)
Yeah, I have access points that didn't have the SNMP template applied correctly, they will be lighthttp or whatever you mentioned - so what I did was selected all of them in the assets page, did a mass edit, marked them as access points, until I got the network team to fix their SNMP for them. Then I rescanned them and they updated accordingly.

The way I figured that out, is on the page for the asset, I click the action (I get them confused - there are two actions - test connection and device tester I think - which I personally think they need to rename)... and then I put in the SNMP string and test... I got 'SNMP disabled or wrong community'

In my case, I knew that all the devices weren't locked down to only certain subnets or IP addresses to allow SNMP, so I tested from my laptop... however, the best thing to do is to pull up the program from the lansweeper server and test, because that's what's going to be doing the SNMP connections.

Hope that helps
kuku1122
#5kuku1122 Member Original PosterPosts: 2  
posted: 4/28/2019 8:35:58 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: kuku1122 Go to Quoted Post
Hi
I have some switches and network devices that I manage VIA web or SSH
I have them all with SNMP enabled and configured for lansweeper.
but lansweeper insists on web or ssh scan since it's open and available for the devices, it will not scan VIA SNMP
I tried to "No SSH" with no luck...and I can't disable web or SSH for them
Web scan does not exist but lansweeper in stuck with many devices as "eHTTP" "lighttpd" or just "webserver" under Model - therefore will not do SNMP

How can manually configure lansweeper to scan a device VIA SNMP or in general "Help" lansweeper with the scan methods when it tries to scan in a method not appropriate for a device?

Thanks!

Thanks guys
SNMP is enabled and working for the devices device tester and also tested with 3rd party snmp tester
LS still will not scan via SNMP
:(
Esben.D
#6Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,768  
posted: 5/6/2019 12:48:23 PM(UTC)
Might be best to send an email to support then.

Another way of verifying that SNMP isn't used is by checking whether the asset's page contains an OID. No OID means no SNMP was used.
Anything more than that will require debug options to be enabled to see that scanning procedure steps and where/why it goes wrong.

Active Discussions

Lansweeper Remote Registry 2019
by  EB   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: 8/22/2019 3:47:10 PM(UTC)
Action Change Windows domain PC Name
by  DaveDischord  
Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: 8/19/2019 11:00:17 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper Launch PowerShell remote PSSession
by  Ian   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: 8/9/2019 12:07:41 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper lspush smtp direct send