cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bandisforgefire
Engaged Sweeper
Hi, I'am having a problem updating Winrar software through deploying package it always returns me a
message: "Result: Deployment ended: The system cannot find the file specified. Stop(Failure). Credential: (.\xxxxx). ShareCredential: (xxxxx)", though the specified file is already at PackageShare\Installers\winrar.exe,

Hoping that you can help me with this, thank you!
18 REPLIES 18
CyberCitizen
Honored Sweeper
Agreed, we just had our managed network vendor deploy our VPN software out to all assets. That being said because of the way I write the packages there are other checks in place, only select users have deployment rights but as they are now doing our procurement to SOE deployment to end user deployment we gave them access to deployments, we have excluded our servers from scanning etc as a failsafe.

Just means that the VPN client was was installed on some desktops which broke our license count, so now we just need to uninstall it on a few machines.
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
Cool - yeah I must say I don't use LS deployment very much... as it can be too powerful and dangerous in an enterprise with 30,000+ workstations/servers... you can single-handedly cripple an entire organization with no real failsafes... it's not enterprise-level ready so I disable the feature and use other deployment applications...

LS if my favorite tool ever - so i'm not knocking it - i'm just, well, putting out a warning to be careful 🙂 it can deploy based on whatever credential successfully scanned the machine... so yeah... that and many other reasons - it's not to be taken lightly for sure
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
Dang Cyber that's a lot of help there - thanks for doing that.

For me, unless the package is huge, or the LAN pipe is small, I generally avoid the packageshare, and hard-code with an IP address... since I don't run many simultaneous deployments, and in case the target computer has issues with DNS. That's just me though.

If I do run with packageshare, and it doesn't work, I generally hard-code with IP address to troubleshoot.
CyberCitizen
Honored Sweeper
Does your Scanning Credentials account have access to that package share location?

At this stage I think I might need to do a screen share with you to see what is happening etc. Did you have access to something like TeamViewer or Discord, can do a screenshare and work through it together etc.
CyberCitizen wrote:
Does your Scanning Credentials account have access to that package share location?

At this stage I think I might need to do a screen share with you to see what is happening etc. Did you have access to something like TeamViewer or Discord, can do a screenshare and work through it together etc.

Hi! i think i already got the problem about the location of the installer issue, i just double check my Default Share path on the security options and i notice that i have a back slash "\" on the end of it i tried to remove it and try again the deployment and after that the script works! Thanks for your help!! i attached a screenshot below that status of the intall logs...
nomadzer0se7en wrote:
Hi! i think i already got the problem about the location of the installer issue, i just double check my Default Share path on the security options and i notice that i have a back slash "\" on the end of it i tried to remove it and try again the deployment and after that the script works! Thanks for your help!! i attached a screenshot below that status of the intall logs...

Yep, something so simple like a double backslash can cause so many issues. Glad we got to the bottom of it.

JacobH wrote:
Dang Cyber that's a lot of help there - thanks for doing that.

For me, unless the package is huge, or the LAN pipe is small, I generally avoid the packageshare, and hard-code with an IP address... since I don't run many simultaneous deployments, and in case the target computer has issues with DNS. That's just me though.

If I do run with packageshare, and it doesn't work, I generally hard-code with IP address to troubleshoot.

It's all good, its what we are here for, to help each other.

I prefer to use FQDN's, in our environment we have a ton of users that work remotely on VPN's etc. Because of this we I tweaked our scanning options so its a bit more regular with active AD scanning plus manual scans. Couldn't go with GP using lspush and haven't really tested lsagent yet, but we prefer to run agentless where we can.

The other thing I did on the Lansweeper server is create a ipconfig /flushdns task that runs regularly as some of these machines may only be on for an hour a day etc and IP / DNS issues can cause problems.

If I am deploying large packages (eg Bluebeam is 1gb), the package copies it locally first, checks it has copied correctly, displays a message to the user of the install, uninstalls the old version, installs the new version and displays a completed message.

If I didn't copy it locally, what would happen is the uninstall would complete, then it would try and install Bluebeam from the server taking upto an hour or two depending on the connection eg package size. As Bluebeam is a primary application used by our staff in the construction industry, they couldn't be down for 2x hours. This was the best course of action I could find for the deployment. We run quite a few simultaneous deployments, eg recently there was the issue with Google Chrome (exploit in the wild), created a report if below v72, deploy updated Google Chrome, displayed a message explaining it needed to be done, asking them to close the browser, if they didn't the package would do it for them in 5 minutes. That worked really well. We use Windows 10 Pro (no default SOE image as we mostly have a base setup), we have a static group that we add machines to for SOE deployment, this pushes out all our standard apps, explorer configurations, decrapifier script to strip a bunch of Windows 10 bloatware but also sets a predefined start menu layout.

LS can be very powerful.
CyberCitizen
Honored Sweeper
Thanks for that, first things first. I am unsure why you are checking for the locally installed version, from what I can see that check isn't doing anything different than the OS Architecture Check. It is only checking if it has been installed previously, but isn't serving any purpose from what I can see unless you are wanting to call an uninstaller first.

Second, your Install command for the 64bit is calling /sAll EULA_ACCEPT=YES whereas WinRAR only has one silent install command /S.

From what I can see /sAll EULA_ACCEPT=YES relates to an Adobe install. Perhaps copied an existing package.

Here is the testing of your package vs mine.

Below is the code from the XML file which is what I would use to install the package.

Note you will need to change the package share path to your WinRAR install files, as I have installed mine in a different location to the default installers.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Package>
<Name>DEV.APP.WinRAR.v5.7</Name>
<Description>Download the 5.7 installer file here: https://www.rarlab.com/download.htm</Description>
<ShutdownOption>0</ShutdownOption>
<ShutdownTime>0</ShutdownTime>
<MaxDuration>900</MaxDuration>
<Rescan>False</Rescan>
<RunMode>2</RunMode>
<Steps>
<Step>
<Nr>1</Nr>
<Name>Check Windows Architecture</Name>
<Type>5</Type>
<ReturnCodes></ReturnCodes>
<Success>2</Success>
<Failure>3</Failure>
<Path></Path>
<Parameters></Parameters>
<MSIParameters></MSIParameters>
<MSIName></MSIName>
<MSIVersion></MSIVersion>
<Command></Command>
<EditMode>False</EditMode>
<Conditions>
<Condition>
<Type>3</Type>
<SpecOne></SpecOne>
<SpecTwo></SpecTwo>
<Operator>6</Operator>
<Value></Value>
</Condition>
</Conditions>
</Step>
<Step>
<Nr>2</Nr>
<Name>Check For 64bit Installer</Name>
<Type>5</Type>
<Success>4</Success>
<Failure>-3</Failure>
<Path></Path>
<MSIName></MSIName>
<Command></Command>
<Conditions>
<Condition>
<Type>1</Type>
<SpecOne>{PackageShare}\PackageTesting</SpecOne>
<SpecTwo>winrar-x64-570.exe</SpecTwo>
<Operator>1</Operator>
<Value></Value>
</Condition>
</Conditions>
</Step>
<Step>
<Nr>3</Nr>
<Name>Check For 32Bit Installer</Name>
<Type>5</Type>
<Success>5</Success>
<Failure>-3</Failure>
<Path></Path>
<MSIName></MSIName>
<Command></Command>
<Conditions>
<Condition>
<Type>1</Type>
<SpecTwo>wrar570.exe</SpecTwo>
<Operator>1</Operator>
<Value></Value>
</Condition>
</Conditions>
</Step>
<Step>
<Nr>4</Nr>
<Name>Install x64</Name>
<Type>1</Type>
<ReturnCodes>0,1641,3010</ReturnCodes>
<Success>-2</Success>
<Failure>-3</Failure>
<Path>{PackageShare}\PackageTesting\winrar-x64-570.exe</Path>
<Parameters>/S</Parameters>
<MSIParameters>/i /qn /norestart</MSIParameters>
<MSIName></MSIName>
<Command>"{PackageShare}\PackageTesting\winrar-x64-570.exe" /S</Command>
<Conditions />
</Step>
<Step>
<Nr>5</Nr>
<Name>Install x86</Name>
<Type>1</Type>
<Success>-2</Success>
<Failure>-3</Failure>
<Path>{PackageShare}\PackageTesting\wrar570.exe</Path>
<MSIName></MSIName>
<Command>"{PackageShare}\PackageTesting\wrar570.exe" /S</Command>
<Conditions />
</Step>
</Steps>
<SoftwareVersion>7.0.110.2</SoftwareVersion>
</Package>
CyberCitizen wrote:
Thanks for that, first things first. I am unsure why you are checking for the locally installed version, from what I can see that check isn't doing anything different than the OS Architecture Check. It is only checking if it has been installed previously, but isn't serving any purpose from what I can see unless you are wanting to call an uninstaller first.

Second, your Install command for the 64bit is calling /sAll EULA_ACCEPT=YES whereas WinRAR only has one silent install command /S.

From what I can see /sAll EULA_ACCEPT=YES relates to an Adobe install. Perhaps copied an existing package.

Here is the testing of your package vs mine.

Below is the code from the XML file which is what I would use to install the package.

Note you will need to change the package share path to your WinRAR install files, as I have installed mine in a different location to the default installers.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Package>
<Name>DEV.APP.WinRAR.v5.7</Name>
<Description>Download the 5.7 installer file here: https://www.rarlab.com/download.htm</Description>
<ShutdownOption>0</ShutdownOption>
<ShutdownTime>0</ShutdownTime>
<MaxDuration>900</MaxDuration>
<Rescan>False</Rescan>
<RunMode>2</RunMode>
<Steps>
<Step>
<Nr>1</Nr>
<Name>Check Windows Architecture</Name>
<Type>5</Type>
<Success>2</Success>
<Failure>3</Failure>
<Path></Path>
<MSIName></MSIName>
<Command></Command>
<Conditions>
<Condition>
<Type>3</Type>
<SpecOne></SpecOne>
<SpecTwo></SpecTwo>
<Operator>6</Operator>
<Value></Value>
</Condition>
</Conditions>
</Step>
<Step>
<Nr>2</Nr>
<Name>Check For 64bit Installer</Name>
<Type>5</Type>
<Success>4</Success>
<Failure>-3</Failure>
<Path></Path>
<MSIName></MSIName>
<Command></Command>
<Conditions>
<Condition>
<Type>1</Type>
<SpecTwo>winrar-x64-570.exe</SpecTwo>
<Operator>1</Operator>
<Value></Value>
</Condition>
</Conditions>
</Step>
<Step>
<Nr>3</Nr>
<Name>Check For 32Bit Installer</Name>
<Type>5</Type>
<Success>5</Success>
<Failure>-3</Failure>
<Path></Path>
<MSIName></MSIName>
<Command></Command>
<Conditions>
<Condition>
<Type>1</Type>
<SpecTwo>wrar570.exe</SpecTwo>
<Operator>1</Operator>
<Value></Value>
</Condition>
</Conditions>
</Step>
<Step>
<Nr>4</Nr>
<Name>Install x64</Name>
<Type>1</Type>
<Success>-2</Success>
<Failure>-3</Failure>
<Path>{PackageShare}\PackageTesting\winrar-x64-570.exe</Path>
<MSIName></MSIName>
<Command>"{PackageShare}\PackageTesting\winrar-x64-570.exe" /S</Command>
<Conditions />
</Step>
<Step>
<Nr>5</Nr>
<Name>Install x86</Name>
<Type>1</Type>
<Success>-2</Success>
<Failure>-3</Failure>
<Path>{PackageShare}\PackageTesting\wrar570.exe</Path>
<MSIName></MSIName>
<Command>"{PackageShare}\PackageTesting\wrar570.exe" /S</Command>
<Conditions />
</Step>
</Steps>
<SoftwareVersion>7.0.110.2</SoftwareVersion>
</Package>

Hi!, thank you, i already tried your file but still no luck for me. i already changed the package path file to where i have saved my WinRAR installers as you instructed,

i attached some of my screenshots for you to check...
Can you please let me know at what step it is failing in the deployment logs now, and export the xml file again (with your current changes) so I can compare?

If the XML file is the same as the one I sent you, it is failing on Step 2 (where it is checking for the install file).

First off is the install file in that correct location?
Second is the {PackageShare} location set correctly in Lansweeper > Deployment > Security Options > Default Package Share? Is it the same server as the Lansweeper server (eg the .\administrator account has access to that location).

What time zone are you in, perhaps we could do a screenshare if that would be of assistance?