cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BCorrales
Engaged Sweeper
License Count Exhausted due to duplicate VDI guests in the database. We run both linked-clones and persistent VDI machines in our environment and we keep exhausting our Lansweeper scanning license count because Lansweeper keeps adding "new" machines into the database even though they're the same hostname. Horizon View will give the machines the same Hostnames but different MAC addresses and IP's after recomposing the machines or pools. Surely, Lansweeper has a fix for this. How can I force Lansweeper to use ONLY the Hostname for the Unique Key?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Well if you are having issues with duplicate assets, It's best you contact our support team and provide them with the details of the assets that are not merging.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
sorry was talking things out loud in the forum so people can be informed and check themselves... and maybe have people use the forums more. if everything is handled in a support ticket to support, we don't know the cause/resolution.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
JacobH wrote:
sorry was talking things out loud in the forum so people can be informed and check themselves... and maybe have people use the forums more. if everything is handled in a support ticket to support, we don't know the cause/resolution.

That's fine, feel free to continue to discuss it. I just want to make sure people know that they can let our support team take a look at it. I don't want people to browse around for hours to try and find an answer if there isn't one yet.

FYI, another cause can be when you have a single VM on two hosts. Usually this means one of them won't have a MAC address. This is what happened in Caleb's case.
Caleb
Engaged Sweeper III
Esben.D wrote:

That's fine, feel free to continue to discuss it. I just want to make sure people know that they can let our support team take a look at it. I don't want people to browse around for hours to try and find an answer if there isn't one yet.

FYI, another cause can be when you have a single VM on two hosts. Usually this means one of them won't have a MAC address. This is what happened in Caleb's case.

To clarify, we had two separate issues.

1. The original issue of duplicate assets with same MAC address,and
2. The scenario where a single VM is on two different ESXi hosts.

I understand the second scenario, however the first is problem needs to be resolved.

We ended up deleting the duplicate assets and re-scanning. That seemed to help somewhat, although I'm not sure it has been resolved yet. I need to send in some additional logs to support for further troubleshooting.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Well if you are having issues with duplicate assets, It's best you contact our support team and provide them with the details of the assets that are not merging.
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
I actually think that vmware guest assets should not count against the asset license... or, should be allowed to not track vmware guest assets...

The only reasons I can think of why there would be a vmware guest asset (provided the MAC merge issue is fixed)... is:

The MAC reported by ESX is different than the successfully scannned asset
or
The VM is offline or powered off
or
You can't successfully scan the asset, so then you have a miscategorized asset (with no MAC), and the vm asset both.

Am I missing a scenario?
BCorrales
Engaged Sweeper
Agreed, they're not merging. We do know that after VMware View 5.5, Composer actions do not discard MAC addresses. Others should be aware, however, that if Horizon Pool settings are set to delete VDI machines on user logoff, or if an Admin chooses to delete a VDI Pool, THEN, Vmware View Composer will generate a new MAC address for each machine created.

But, again, they're not merging in our environment and it's a really big deal. Disabling the scanning of the VDI is not the route I want to take.
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
FYI anyone else - you can run this duplicate mac address report

SELECT Top 1000000
tblAssets.AssetID,
tblAssets.AssetName,
tblAssets.AssetType,
tblAssets.Mac,
tblAssets.IPaddress
FROM
tblAssets
WHERE
tblAssets.Mac <> ''
AND (SELECT Count(*) FROM tblAssets AS a WHERE a.Mac = tblAssets.Mac) > 1
ORDER BY
tblAssets.Mac

What you're looking for is the same MAC for AssetType 70, and AssetType -1 (VMWare Guest, Windows Guest)

JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
Welp, they arent merging all of the time...

I just did:

SELECT Top 1000000
tblAssets.AssetID,
tblAssets.AssetName,
tblAssets.AssetType,
tblAssets.Mac,
tblAssets.IPaddress
FROM
tblAssets
WHERE
tblassets.assetname like '%EXAMPLE%'

and I got

3290 EXAMPLE 70 00:50:56:86:D5:D8 192.168.108.128
4139 EXAMPLE -1 00:50:56:86:D5:D8 192.168.108.128
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
Let us know what you find out -

I have the same issue - but it's on some but not all VM's.

Caleb
Engaged Sweeper III
We are seeing duplicate assets as well. I opened a ticket with support but haven't performed troubleshooting beyond deleting the duplicate assets to see if that resolves the error (which it doesn't).

Best I can tell is that Lansweeper identifies a unique asset when the Windows asset is scanned, as well as when the asset is scanned via the ESXi host and vCenter.