cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BCorrales
Engaged Sweeper
License Count Exhausted due to duplicate VDI guests in the database. We run both linked-clones and persistent VDI machines in our environment and we keep exhausting our Lansweeper scanning license count because Lansweeper keeps adding "new" machines into the database even though they're the same hostname. Horizon View will give the machines the same Hostnames but different MAC addresses and IP's after recomposing the machines or pools. Surely, Lansweeper has a fix for this. How can I force Lansweeper to use ONLY the Hostname for the Unique Key?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Well if you are having issues with duplicate assets, It's best you contact our support team and provide them with the details of the assets that are not merging.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Caleb wrote:
We are seeing duplicate assets as well. I opened a ticket with support but haven't performed troubleshooting beyond deleting the duplicate assets to see if that resolves the error (which it doesn't).

Best I can tell is that Lansweeper identifies a unique asset when the Windows asset is scanned, as well as when the asset is scanned via the ESXi host and vCenter.

VMguest machines and Windows machines are merged based on Mac address. So if the mac address of the guest asset matches the Windows asset, they should be merged.

JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
Following - I ended up excluding our VDI's for similar reasons.
BCorrales
Engaged Sweeper
These are VMware guests running Windows OS. The MAC addresses are not re-utilized if the machines are "destroyed at logoff". VMware will use the same range of hostnames but assigns different MAC addresses.

"Starting with VMware View 5.1 all Linked Clone recompose operations will preserve the MAC address for both assigned and unassigned VMs. Prior to VMware View 5.1, Linked Clone recompose operations preserved the VM MAC address of assigned VMs only, while unassigned VMs would be recreated and assigned new MAC addresses."

"Hi Andre. I think I figured out what was causing the problem. The Mac only changed when I destroyed the VM, but did not change with a simple refresh or recompile. I think we’re going to have to change the pool from floating to dedicated and remove the setting to destroy on log off."

So, I guess what I'm really asking is how can we get Lansweeper to ONLY use the Hostnames for the unique key?

Thanks!
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
BCorrales wrote:

So, I guess what I'm really asking is how can we get Lansweeper to ONLY use the Hostnames for the unique key?

Thanks!

Simply said, you can't.

You should not be getting duplicate Windows assets. Once the VMware guests are directly scanned and identified as a Windows asset. Rename detection should kick in and merge any duplicate assets.
ghelpdesk
Champion Sweeper
Would using the MAC blacklist feature (tsysmacblacklist) be feasible?

It appears to allow for single character wildcards with a dot '.' ie: AA:BB:..:DD:EE:FF
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Are the guests running Windows?
Are you using VMware or Citrix?

For VMware guest assets, they will get merged based on MAC address with a Windows asset (when the guest is directly scanned).
Once you have a single windows asset for the guest, Rename detection should merge it with other Windows assets if they are identical.