Notification

Icon
Error

Should I update to LANSweeper 7?

Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 3:00:58 PM(UTC)
Brendan440

Brendan440

Member Alpha Tester Original PosterPosts: 14
So right now, I am not able to update my Premium license to any of the ones mentioned in the emails that work with the new features of LANSweeper 7.

Should I bother updating to this latest version? Will I see any benefits?
Esben.D
#1Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,982  
posted: 9/18/2018 3:32:46 PM(UTC)
Aside from the new features, very little has changed. The biggest reason to upgrade to Lansweeper 7 (even with older licenses) is to try out the new features. You'll be able to easily get a key to try out all the new features for a limited time. This can be useful to convince management of the added value.

If you just simply can't upgrade your license at this moment, there no big reasons to upgrade.
Brendan440
#2Brendan440 Member Alpha Tester Original PosterPosts: 14  
posted: 9/18/2018 3:35:35 PM(UTC)
Thanks!

I did try out the beta on my test setup, so I did see some of the new features (even sent in a bug report), will just have to hold off and see what the new year and budget hold! :)
nnewton
#3nnewton Member Posts: 15  
posted: 9/20/2018 5:20:20 AM(UTC)
I just installed v7 on our test server and found out all these great new features are pay-to-play now.

If we want to use them, our Premium license is useless and we will have to go from paying $360 PA to over $5000.

We've been looking for a network and application monitoring app and a lot of them do discovery too, maybe it's time to take the plunge on one of them.

Can we install v7 and disable the annoying "this is what you could have if you pay us 14x what you currently pay" notifications on the asset pages?

Edit: Actually, it's even worse, I was looking at the US pricing, it's going to be almost $7000.
satxx
#4satxx Member Posts: 4  
posted: 9/20/2018 8:31:37 AM(UTC)
We are in the same situation with a Premium licens aswell along with the helpdesk module + agents.
Im not sure we can motivate the pricejump right now just for those new features. Like nnewton mentioned its around x14 of what we are paying today which is quite the priceleap for us.

So im asking the same question as he did, can u disable those notifications so you dont have to see them?
Esben.D
#5Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,982  
posted: 9/20/2018 10:10:39 AM(UTC)
The notifications on the new features cannot be turned of as they are there to indicate that you can't access those features.

Just to assure you, your current license doesn’t change. You can still use its current features and renew at its original conditions. We do not want to force you to change licenses. However, all new Lansweeper features will only be added to our asset-limited subscriptions. This means legacy licenses can still be renewed, receive support and maintenance updates.

The decision to no longer include new features to legacy licenses was taken so we can continue to improve Lansweeper and develop new features. Even at its current price, in my opinion, Lansweeper still offers the best bang for your buck there is.
nnewton
#6nnewton Member Posts: 15  
posted: 9/25/2018 8:53:46 AM(UTC)
Well, you do actually disable some existing features in the new version for the legacy licenses.

I can see VMWare host disks and network interfaces for my ESX hosts in v6, in v7, there is a notification saying I must upgrade to see these items.
Esben.D
#7Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,982  
posted: 9/25/2018 1:26:07 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: nnewton Go to Quoted Post
Well, you do actually disable some existing features in the new version for the legacy licenses.

I can see VMWare host disks and network interfaces for my ESX hosts in v6, in v7, there is a notification saying I must upgrade to see these items.

Because of how different VMware scanning is now with scanning via vCenter, a lot of information is divided up into new tables. It is possible that we missed something. If that is the case (I haven't been able to tests it and see it), you should contact us, send a email to support or sales with the information and screenshots of the information missing.

That way we can get it back in ASAP.

Argon0
#8Argon0 Member Posts: 40  
posted: 11/14/2018 1:38:17 PM(UTC)
NO, if you rely on the unofficial 10% overage on assets as we do between renewals.Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

This has been removed as part of the upgrade, instead of now allowing you to go up to 10% over the number of assets you are registered for it stops working at the no.

My Network continues to grow, I was relying on being able to 'true up' in the MS sense at the end of a year's usage. NOW prices have skyrocketed, and they insist every asset you are scanning is accounted for in terms of licenses.

I now have to aggressively manage assets in the database removing any that are over 30 days unseen in order to be able to continue using LanSweeper (a great tool BTW), as I cannot continually go back to finance saying I need to spend more money on this...Brick wall

I've had conversations with Lansweeper, but they seem to be immovable on this point.

The change in licensing terms when moving to LS7 needs to be spelled out before you move to it.
doing-bits
#9doing-bits Member Posts: 2  
posted: 11/14/2018 4:36:27 PM(UTC)
Did cost us anything else, we pay for unlimited so thats why then.

We found it worthy. A lot of 'prices have rocketed' since when? upgrades are inclusive with Lansweeper. I must be missing something to ignore me.
Argon0
#10Argon0 Member Posts: 40  
posted: 11/14/2018 6:42:26 PM(UTC)
The costs of adding licenses has rocketed, in March April cost per asset per year was quoted at £0.07, recently it was quoted at £0.72, now it is £1.10.
danielm
#11danielm Member Posts: 178  
posted: 11/16/2018 5:42:11 PM(UTC)
https://web.archive.org/...r.com/premium-users.aspx
Wow 2011 had a great deal.

Well maybe lanswweeper will one day reconsider their interpretation of the spirit of the original license agreement for older customers,
"Always access to the latest version and updates".
I guess access to did not always mean "and use what it can do" . Once can argue language here but may not be worth it.

But, Until then I guess we can see what bugs get fixed in v7. I'd hate to get to much out of date as you always worry about upgrades from old versions though. For now , personally I don't see the need for the new restricted 'features' as its just fine for now as a product, but the snub does hurt.

https://i.imgur.com/0MJf9OF.jpg

In the end business is business I guess and why charge less when you can charge more just because others do the same.
Esben.D
#12Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,982  
posted: 11/19/2018 2:25:05 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Argon0 Go to Quoted Post
The costs of adding licenses has rocketed, in March April cost per asset per year was quoted at £0.07, recently it was quoted at £0.72, now it is £1.10.

I'm not sure how you did your price calculation, but our pricing starts at €0.99 (obviously currency values play a part here).

Originally Posted by: danielm Go to Quoted Post
https://web.archive.org/web/20110713183738/http://www.lansweeper.com/premium-users.aspx
Wow 2011 had a great deal.

Well maybe lanswweeper will one day reconsider their interpretation of the spirit of the original license agreement for older customers,
"Always access to the latest version and updates".
I guess access to did not always mean "and use what it can do" . Once can argue language here but may not be worth it.

But, Until then I guess we can see what bugs get fixed in v7. I'd hate to get to much out of date as you always worry about upgrades from old versions though. For now , personally I don't see the need for the new restricted 'features' as its just fine for now as a product, but the snub does hurt.

https://i.imgur.com/0MJf9OF.jpg

In the end business is business I guess and why charge less when you can charge more just because others do the same.

The goal really isn't to just charge more because we can. We've been pretty transparent about the fact that we want to continue evolving Lansweeper and it's feature set.
The new features might indeed not be enough for some to upgrade at the moment. As new features continue to be added, we hope that in time, everyone will see that the value preposition is good enough to upgrade. When that time is, is up to each individual. The next feature release will be in the spring of 2019.
Argon0
#13Argon0 Member Posts: 40  
posted: 11/20/2018 11:29:39 AM(UTC)
I'm basing my costs on actual quotes from LanSweeper, not list price.

Because of the new license regime, I need to upgrade another 1000 licenses despite only needing less than 100 extra licenses to cover my whole estate.

On the old regime I could have run up to 600 additional assets until needing to pay for an upgrade.

This is too much too quickly.
Notonyourradar
#14Notonyourradar Member Posts: 18  
posted: 11/27/2018 5:49:50 PM(UTC)
If I have an Enterprise - Unlimited Access license will I be able to use all the new v.7 features or is this considered a "Legacy" license?
Azuroth
#15Azuroth Member Posts: 12  
posted: 12/20/2018 5:41:21 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Notonyourradar Go to Quoted Post
If I have an Enterprise - Unlimited Access license will I be able to use all the new v.7 features or is this considered a "Legacy" license?

It's now considered a Legacy license now with LS7.
marck1024
#16marck1024 Member Posts: 35  
posted: 1/7/2020 5:00:21 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Esben.D Go to Quoted Post
Just to assure you, your current license doesn’t change. You can still use its current features and renew at its original conditions. We do not want to force you to change licenses.

Quote:
As new features continue to be added, we hope that in time, everyone will see that the value preposition is good enough to upgrade

So much for that. I just received an email stating:

"As a courtesy, we wanted to make sure you were aware that this will be the last time that your Premium License can be renewed. All Premium Licenses will be discontinued after January 2021."
danielm
#17danielm Member Posts: 178  
posted: 1/8/2020 3:38:18 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: marck1024 Go to Quoted Post
Just to assure you, your current license doesn’t change. You can still use its current features and renew at its original conditions. We do not want to force you to change licenses.

Quote:
As new features continue to be added, we hope that in time, everyone will see that the value preposition is good enough to upgrade

"As a courtesy, we wanted to make sure you were aware that this will be the last time that your Premium License can be renewed. All Premium Licenses will be discontinued after January 2021."

Yup. Not very happy either here.....
Jack of All Trades
#18Jack of All Trades Member Posts: 6  
posted: 1/9/2020 11:30:38 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: danielm Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: marck1024 Go to Quoted Post

Quote:

Yup. Not very happy either here.....

Tell me about it. LS is getting worst and I don't think we will pay another year.
- We have a problem with scanning (multiple renaming of assets and stucked queue). LS support basically told us that they will fix it - someday. It's been 2 months now.
- I'm not even mentioning their changes in license.
Esben.D
#19Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,982  
posted: 1/10/2020 10:28:24 AM(UTC)
Hey guys, I always try to be as transparent as possible with you. My comments quoted from almost 2 years ago were accurate at the time and still will be until the premium license is discontinued.

We are in the process of contacting everyone to make sure that they have ample time to discuss their license with their account executive. So I recommend you have a chat with your account executive to check what your best options are.
marck1024
#20marck1024 Member Posts: 35  
posted: 1/10/2020 4:04:35 PM(UTC)
Hey guys, I always try to be as transparent as possible with you. My comments quoted from almost 2 years ago were accurate at the time and still will be until the premium license is discontinued.

The statement that you don't want to force customers onto new licenses, that you want them to see value in the new features and make the choice to move to a new license, is most certainly not true now, and it hasn't been for at least a while.

There have only been a handful of releases with new features that were supposed to convince customers to move over. So, I'd say it has been a short time since you assured customers they wouldn't be forced to new licenses. But I liked to see you try that line after cheating on a wife or girlfriend. "Honey, it was true at the time when I told you I'd be faithful."

It's just a terrible way to treat your customers. It's reasonable to raise prices 10% or so each year, but not hundreds of percent. And assuring customers expressing concern about the possibility of huge price increases that they don't need to worry about it, only to go back on it...

I give you credit for at least giving a year notice. You're better than LogMeIn. But it's still a distasteful move.

Active Discussions

Lansweeper Automated warranty check not working for HP
by  Erik.T   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Today at 5:40:25 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper Guide: Get Every Asset MAC Addresses From Every Subnet
by  Erik.T  
Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Today at 5:38:15 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper Vcenter Scanning Credential
by  Erik.T   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Today at 5:33:58 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper SCCM Integration