cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doratheexplorer
Engaged Sweeper III
For remote computers using VPN, LS always has trouble finding it's current IP address. For example, if a remote user uses VPN today with ip 1.2.3.4, tomorrow the IP might change to 1.2.3.5. Here Lansweeper will probably still show the old "1.2.3.4" address.

Although this might not be a LS problem at all (but a DNS problem), it's hard for admins to deal with. I have (at least) 2 places to check for DNS changes right now (the DNS Cache of the VPN-Router at the main site, and the DNS Cache at the computer where LS is running on). Maybe even 3 places if the domain controller makes a different too (not sure).

Here's an example: http://i.imgur.com/m54Wu82.jpg

10.242.2.5 is a (pretty old) VPN IP. If I edit this asset now (actually this asset doesn't use VPN anymore at all...), I can change it's IP at first, but with another scan of the asset the IP will revert back to the (wrong) 10.242.2.5 address. In particular this case I have no idea where this (old) 10.242.2.5 is coming from.

I flushed all DNS Caches at the domain controller, VPN-Router and the LS-host. I even modified the hosts-file on both the domain controller and the LS-machine, when I ping the shown machine in the screenshot it DOES return the correct IP now. Can it be there's an orphaned value in the LS-Database? (if so: no, it's not an option to delete the asset and have it scanned again!)

It would tremendously help if you can edit an asset and change the IP Address there, and LOCK THIS IP FOR THIS ASSET. So for the next scan interval, the Lansweeper-Host will not try to resolve the computers name into its IP, but instead use the fixed IP Address *you* assigned it to.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
rom
Champion Sweeper II
There's a hack for this, I just don't remember what it is (the switch issue) as its been around 4 years.

refer to: https://www.lansweeper.com/forum/yaf_postst19772findunread_Extreme-Switches---Port-Status-with-SNMP.aspx#post63731

https://www.lansweeper.com/Forum/yaf_postst11111_Core-switches-showing-up-one-time-for-each-VLAN.aspx#post41494

i think the technical engineers of lansweeper can tell you, if you can escalate beyond the first tier of support.

i'll try to find what I did but i think its from a previous job.
blackmoonwolf
Engaged Sweeper III
I'm really struggling with this as well. Despite attempting multiple configurations on a switch, Lansweeper continually sees fit to change the IP of the asset to that of a VLAN interface that I have configured rather than maintaining the IP of the MGMT interface that I keep setting it to.

I don't need the VLAN interface IPs. I want ONLY the MGMT interface of the switch to show up in Lansweeper. I've spent HOURS trying to figure out how to get Lansweeper to stop interfering with my preferred management approach.

It's really simple. I don't want Lansweeper to tell me how to manage my assets. I want to set - AND LOCK - the IP on this asset entry and I want Lansweeper to STOP interfering and trying to override my preferences.

I don't need multiple entries for the switch, either. For some reason, after it changes the IP on the entry to the in-band VLAN interface IP... It creates a SECOND entry anyway and assigns the MGMT IP to that one.

Why in the HELL would that be useful? Just leave the original entry alone!

I've even tried removing all entries for this switch and manually creating one for it. But it still insists on arbitrarily interfering.

WHY is this just a feature that is being so easily disregarded as "niche" and being tossed aside by the developers like it doesn't matter? This seems like something that should be SO EASY to implement. It's such a basic ask.

This is really getting on my nerves. I spent more time trying to get around Lansweeper's forceful approach to scanning changes that I'm looking into different platforms now.

They don't seem interested in acting on our feedback.
Joris_
Engaged Sweeper II
We have the same issue. Some kind of Agent would definitely solve this!
ctrenda
Engaged Sweeper
We had a similar issue. To work around it, we created a GPO to deploy LSPush to each client machine (to the %windir% directory), we also deployed a scheduled task that would run anytime the system sees that it is connected to our domain (when we connect to our VPN, the network profile detects that it is apart of our domain). Basically the scheduled task is triggered by an event with a custom XML event filter. Here is an example of what we have (replace yourdomain.com with your domain and include the ' ')

<QueryList>
<Query Id="0" Path="Microsoft-Windows-NetworkProfile/Operational">
<Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-NetworkProfile/Operational"> *[System[(EventID=10000)]] and *[EventData[Data[@Name='Name'] and (Data='yourdomain.com')]] </Select>
</Query>
</QueryList>

That scheduled task event triggers LSPush to run in the background and send the information to the lansweeper server, thus updating it with the latest IP. It doesn't completely solve your problem but may help with lansweeper showing the correct IP of a computer.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Thank you for the feedback. I have moved this topic to the wishlish section of the forum and have added it to the customer wish list.
Doratheexplorer
Engaged Sweeper III
Thanks for your input. Unfortunately this is a "niche" bug/feature request so it's priority is below zero. I don't see why so, I have basic understanding of dbsystems and Lansweeper and I think it would be easy to implement. There must be alot numbers of unreported cases of this sort of problem. I guess people have just better things to do... 😞
mkollross
Engaged Sweeper
Another request for "It would tremendously help if you can edit an asset and change the IP Address there, and LOCK THIS IP FOR THIS ASSET. So for the next scan interval, the Lansweeper-Host will not try to resolve the computers name into its IP, but instead use the fixed IP Address *you* assigned it to."