cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pfenton
Engaged Sweeper III
Our SIP phones are on there own subnet. The Lansweeper server is able to scan that subnet, but because it is on a different subnet, it is not getting the phones MAC address. Is there a way to run the Lansweeper scan from the phone subnet?

My Lansweeper server is on a 10.1.23.0 subnet. My phones are on a 10.10.20.0 subnet. The server is able to scan the 10.10.20.0 subnet with no problem. They are on the same network. But it only gets ip information from the phones. I beleive that it would also get the MAC address information if the scan came from the same subnet. Is there a way to do this?

The reason I think this would work is because that is what happens when I scan with Angry IP Scanner. If I scan the phone subnet using Angry IP Scanner from my laptop, I only get IP address info. If connect my laptop to the phone subnet, and run the scan, I get MAC address, and hostname information.
7 REPLIES 7
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
About HTTP or HTTPS credentials:
There is no way to provide credentials for HTTP or HTTPS credentials. This has been requested before and I'll add this topic to the topics requesting this feature.

About scanning mobile devices:
The issue with the current method of identifying mobile devices is that Lansweeper can only retrieve a MAC address of a mobile device if it is on the same subnet as a scanning server. It used the ARP table to get this information. If a mobile device is in a different subnet, Lansweeper won't be able to do this and the mobile device will be identified by it's IP address.

We are indeed aware of this issue, and we are exploring different methods to solve this. Currently, the best method is to either exclude the DHCP range used to give these mobile devices IPs. Another method is to use the automated database cleanup options to automatically delete the assets after a certain amount of time.

More information about the automated database cleanup options can be found here: https://www.lansweeper.com/kb/167/performing-automated-database-cleanups.html
pfenton
Engaged Sweeper III
I don't have that problem. Do you have "no ping" checked in your scanning options?
IT2
Engaged Sweeper II
My network contains multiple subnets and I'm not going to have a Lansweeper scanning server on each one. The issue I'm having is the scan is finding the mobile phones and tablets via ping but do to the fact it doesn't retrieve the mac address every time the devices connect and happen to get a new IP from the DHCP scope Lansweeper creates a brand new asset. I'm sure you can follow me as to how that is creating issues. I throw the devices into an exclusion list but the only good that does is helps me locate the asset record I need to go back and delete every couple days. It's a real pain and doesn't sound like a better solution will be coming in the future.
pfenton
Engaged Sweeper III
In the article that you mention, it says that Lansweeper can pull data from any device that has HTTP, or HTTPS enabled. On my Lansweeper server, there is no place to add scanning credentials for HTTP, or HTTPS.
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
If a device is in the same subnet as your Lansweeper server, a MAC address will be retrievable merely by a successful ping. This is because the MAC address can be retrieved from the ARP table of your Lansweeper server itself in this case. Using the MAC address, the vendor can then be retrieved.

This unfortunately does not work outside of the subnet of your Lansweeper server. In those cases a protocol through which information can be retrieved needs to be available, such as SNMP. Which requires SNMP to be enabled on the device and the community string to be added and mapped under Scanning\Scanning Credentials. A full list of protocols through which Lansweeper can retrieve information can be found in the first paragraph of this article.
pfenton
Engaged Sweeper III
How are you logging into the phones from lansweeper? What kind of credentials are you using?
andrewhancock91
Engaged Sweeper II
Just out of curiosity does lansweeper have credentials to "log in" to the phones and collect information or are you simply using it as a network scan to see where things are at? I ask because I have a similar setup (printers instead of phones on different subnet/vlan) and lansweeper collects the MAC as well as a ton of other information because it is logging in to the device. This may or may not help but its a thought