Notification

Icon
Error

Deployment package to start other packages

Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 3:37:10 PM(UTC)
sullivane

sullivane

Member Original PosterPosts: 190
Let's say I have Flash, Reader, and Shockwave with each it's own package. Let's say I want to make an Adobe package that installs all three. Right now I have to reproduce what I am doing with the three individual packages in one package. Now let's say I need to make a change to the install if Reader. I will have to make the change to any and all packages that install Reader(Reader package, Adobe package, and maybe an all software package).

It would be awesome to create a package that runs other packages. So I create an all Adobe package and the steps are to run the other packages.

This would be so nice.

Thanks
Susan.A
#1Susan.A Member Administration Posts: 1,536  
posted: 4/23/2015 10:50:42 AM(UTC)
Requested by a few other customers, but we don't have a release date for this. You could create reports for machines missing Adobe Flash, Reader or Shockwave and then perform scheduled deployments on those reports, with individual packages for Flash, Reader and Shockwave. That way Lansweeper would automatically install whatever's missing.
SCM_sweeper
#2SCM_sweeper Member Posts: 2  
posted: 10/24/2017 2:45:38 PM(UTC)
Bump. I'm looking for this exact option. Still not available?
Esben.D
#3Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,982  
posted: 10/24/2017 4:28:10 PM(UTC)
This feature is still on our customer wish list. Features on the customer wish list get development prioritization based on a combination of customer demand and difficulty to implement. As such I can unfortunately not give an estimated release date when this update may get released. 

If you want to keep an eye on the new features and changes made to Lansweeper you can view our changelog here: https://www.lansweeper.com/changelog.aspx
sullivane
#4sullivane Member Original PosterPosts: 190  
posted: 10/24/2017 4:34:46 PM(UTC)
Thanks Professor. This is something that, in my opinion, is a MUST. For us to be able to create 40 software install packages and be able to create one package for a lab which includes 6 software and NOT have to redo the installs is huge. We have some software that requires 5 steps to install and to have to redo that if it needs to be in 4 labs is a waste of time.
ThorstenS
#5ThorstenS Member Posts: 1  
posted: 1/29/2018 1:30:30 PM(UTC)
Hi, also for me to setup a specific installation order this would be really helpfull. Sometimes you need to install first one type of software before the next part can be installed (AddOns are not possible to be installed before the main software is there). I don't want to create reports and after schedule something. If we install new machines, we have a number of software we have to deploy. It's annoying to install all packages one-by-one.

Please enable the deployment package to reference an existing package to create a deployment set; or a deployment queue would also fit our needs (an on-demand referenced deployment packages).

Thanks in advance.
m.west
#6m.west Member Posts: 1  
posted: 2/7/2018 12:30:05 PM(UTC)
Is this going to be released anytime soon? Angel Thanks
sullivane
#7sullivane Member Original PosterPosts: 190  
posted: 2/8/2018 5:01:02 PM(UTC)
This is becoming increasingly more needed at least for me.

UserPostedImage

I have these same 6 steps in 8 different deployments. Which means in each of the 8 deployments there are 6 extra steps instead of 1 (starting the one deployment with all 6).

I also have some deployments (installs) that take 2-4 steps. I have "base packages" for teachers, support staff, and students. These packages have apps that some take 2-4 each instead of one calling the main deployment.

If I need to make a change to the main deployment I also have to make it to 3-7 other deployments.

This feature may not be highly requested but I guarantee people want it.

Thanks
bsudano
#8bsudano Member Posts: 1  
posted: 8/10/2018 3:13:45 PM(UTC)
I'd just like to add myself to the list of users that would like to see this implemented. It would be nice if it took the following form:

1. In a package, click Add Step
2. Under Action, select "Package"
3. A dropdown menu appears containing all other Packages

Being able to reuse code like this would save a ton of time, especially for packages with dependencies and packages that install multiple pieces of software.
dgarza
#9dgarza Member Posts: 4  
posted: 9/25/2019 7:28:41 PM(UTC)
Any update on this feature? This would save so much time. Currently I have to export the packages I want to run then combine into a new xml then import.
CyberCitizen
#10CyberCitizen Member Posts: 390  
posted: 9/30/2019 8:18:01 AM(UTC)
I must admit Lansweeper. This post has been posted many times with the comment its on the wish list.

Well it was on the Wish List back in 2015, it is now 2019 you have had 4 years to implement this feature, yet you have added things like O365 scanning and AirWatch. I would have rathered seen something like this and scanning of Windows store apps first before those.
Zennith
#11Zennith Member Posts: 1  
posted: 1/16/2020 8:27:28 AM(UTC)
2020, is it still on the wishlist ?
pryan67
#12pryan67 Member Posts: 86  
posted: 3/10/2020 2:25:37 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Zennith Go to Quoted Post
2020, is it still on the wishlist ?

You wish :)

I don't think that they are actually adding ANY new features. I haven't seen anything in the change logs about features, only bug fixes.

Christoph Baumann
#13Christoph Baumann Member Posts: 2  
posted: 7/8/2020 3:29:29 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: bsudano Go to Quoted Post
I'd just like to add myself to the list of users that would like to see this implemented. It would be nice if it took the following form:

1. In a package, click Add Step
2. Under Action, select "Package"
3. A dropdown menu appears containing all other Packages

Being able to reuse code like this would save a ton of time, especially for packages with dependencies and packages that install multiple pieces of software.

Just recently started working with Lansweeper at my new job, but right from the get-go, I was hoping for something like bsudano described above....

Here's to hoping it won't take Lansweeper another five years
mlachance
#14mlachance Member Posts: 13  
posted: 7/8/2020 3:36:39 PM(UTC)
I've been asking for this feature for over 5 years now. Lansweeper Team, PLEASE make this a priority as many of your competitors offer this solution, even in their free versions. With the amount we pay each year, it makes no sense that this feature is not yet available.

Active Discussions

Lansweeper Show attached USB devices
by  Dannnnooo   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Today at 10:42:17 AM(UTC)
Lansweeper zerologin posted report
by  Antikas  
Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Today at 9:42:54 AM(UTC)
Lansweeper Lansweeper Ubiquiti AP Bullet Devices
by  Beta_Tester   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Today at 8:59:06 AM(UTC)
Lansweeper Report to find ScanServer 'not working'