cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
albrigtp
Engaged Sweeper
I followed all of the steps for this upgrade exactly. I even made backup copies of all of the files. When my staff logged back in they noticed that everything had reverted back to 7/28/2017. I tried putting the backup of my database into place and got the same results. The file sizes and times for each of the files are exactly the same. What could have possibly happened? I have emailed this to support@lansweeper.com as well.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Just to clarify: removal of data that cannot be explained through the database cleanup options found under Configuration\Server Options is, of course, not normal and something we take very seriously. From the thousands of customers we support we've had exactly 5 reports so far concerning unexplained data loss. In these 5 cases, the customers were using Microsoft's SQL Compact as their database server.

When previous cases were reported to us, we engaged with our developers to investigate the cause of the data loss. Given that this issue appears to be limited to SQL Compact, we strongly suspect at this point that it is related to the database server itself. The issue appears similar to a known SQL Compact bug reported by Microsoft itself in this article on the Microsoft website. Our developers will be integrating new SQL Compact DLL files (provided by Microsoft) into Lansweeper in one of our upcoming releases to hopefully prevent future data loss issues. The new DLL files won't be part of our very next release, as they need to be thoroughly tested, but we are moving them through the development chain as quickly as possible.

We sincerely apologize to the 5 customers who experienced this issue. Any case resulting in loss of data is one case too many. Without a database backup that still contains the missing data, there is no way for our support engineers to perform a restore, as scanned or help desk data is not sent back to our servers. I do want to emphasize for other customers though that this data loss issue appears to be extremely rare. It appears to be related to a third-party component, the SQL Compact database server, and occurs under very few SQL Compact installations. Lansweeper updates appear to be unrelated to the problem, as is illustrated by the fact that albrigtp's old database backups were already missing data.

If you do have concerns about possible future data loss, I would recommend moving your Lansweeper database to SQL Server by following this article in our online knowledge base, as albrigtp has done. We have had no reports of similar data loss occurring under the SQL Server database server.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Just to clarify: removal of data that cannot be explained through the database cleanup options found under Configuration\Server Options is, of course, not normal and something we take very seriously. From the thousands of customers we support we've had exactly 5 reports so far concerning unexplained data loss. In these 5 cases, the customers were using Microsoft's SQL Compact as their database server.

When previous cases were reported to us, we engaged with our developers to investigate the cause of the data loss. Given that this issue appears to be limited to SQL Compact, we strongly suspect at this point that it is related to the database server itself. The issue appears similar to a known SQL Compact bug reported by Microsoft itself in this article on the Microsoft website. Our developers will be integrating new SQL Compact DLL files (provided by Microsoft) into Lansweeper in one of our upcoming releases to hopefully prevent future data loss issues. The new DLL files won't be part of our very next release, as they need to be thoroughly tested, but we are moving them through the development chain as quickly as possible.

We sincerely apologize to the 5 customers who experienced this issue. Any case resulting in loss of data is one case too many. Without a database backup that still contains the missing data, there is no way for our support engineers to perform a restore, as scanned or help desk data is not sent back to our servers. I do want to emphasize for other customers though that this data loss issue appears to be extremely rare. It appears to be related to a third-party component, the SQL Compact database server, and occurs under very few SQL Compact installations. Lansweeper updates appear to be unrelated to the problem, as is illustrated by the fact that albrigtp's old database backups were already missing data.

If you do have concerns about possible future data loss, I would recommend moving your Lansweeper database to SQL Server by following this article in our online knowledge base, as albrigtp has done. We have had no reports of similar data loss occurring under the SQL Server database server.
albrigtp
Engaged Sweeper
Support has said it was because I was using the compact .sdf file for the database instead of putting it on an actual sql database. I have migrated to sql now but I am going to lose data back to 7/28. Even backup files of the database that we had exported daily via .bat files were missing data back to 7/28. Really strange.
bubba198
Engaged Sweeper II
Very strange; I can report that we did an upgrade to v. 6.0.100.75 and it all worked out; the OS where LAN Sweeper is running is 2008 R2

Thanks
~B