cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChickenDenders
Engaged Sweeper
Hey guys,

I'm making a deployment package to install Autodesk's Maya 2016. It's got a couple of different updates/plugins that are all installed in multiple steps.

I would like to know a way to display a message in the "Message" column, on the Deployment > Logs page. Right now, it just sits at "Preliminary checks complete! Initializing..." until the deployment is completed. The deployment takes about half an hour to run through all the installers, and I would like to know what stage its in while I'm monitoring things.

I figure I should be able to just add another step in between the actual MSI files I'm installing, like an Echo Command with my own custom message, but that isn't working. I know there is a "Last Step" column on the Log page, but that just shows the numbered step instead of the name of the last step completed - I would like more information than that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
MakeBug
Champion Sweeper
Where do you want this message to appear? On the client you're deploying on or on your deployment server?
You can show a message on the deploying client by creating a cmd-step with the command like msg * Hello World

However this will only work if you're deploying with the current logged in user. If you're using the system account or the scanning credentials to run the deployment the message will not show up on the screen (the command is running, but the message box doesn't show).

I myself am thinking about going a different way by creating a textfile with the current step on the tempfolder. That way I can always check the tempfolder of the computers with running deployments and can see the current state.

Afaik there's currently no built-in way to get this information.

For sure I am open for better solutions if anyone has an idea. My way feels really...ugly.
MakeBug wrote:
Where do you want this message to appear? On the client you're deploying on or on your deployment server?
You can show a message on the deploying client by creating a cmd-step with the command like msg * Hello World

However this will only work if you're deploying with the current logged in user. If you're using the system account or the scanning credentials to run the deployment the message will not show up on the screen (the command is running, but the message box doesn't show).

I myself am thinking about going a different way by creating a textfile with the current step on the tempfolder. That way I can always check the tempfolder of the computers with running deployments and can see the current state.

Afaik there's currently no built-in way to get this information.

For sure I am open for better solutions if anyone has an idea. My way feels really...ugly.

Hello!

I'm just looking to get the status update to appear in Lansweeper's Deployment Log page. If I've got a deployment package that takes half an hour to install, the only status updates it will show is "Checking Credentials > Initializing... > Done". I want to know what step something is on while I'm monitoring things. The job entry will just list as "initializing" all the way until it finishes.