cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rotax04
Engaged Sweeper
It would be really great to have Lansweeper include the public IP Address of an assets Internet connection for assets that are scanned out side of the local network. Have LSPush run as a service (something other than an obvious scheduled task that can be canceled by the user) and send the asset info to the lansweeper server over the Internet when the user logs on.

This would give us the ability to locate stolen computers.
6 REPLIES 6
chogan201
Engaged Sweeper III
Adding my vote that this is much needed.
khancock
Engaged Sweeper II
I just wanted to bump this and see if anyone else has found a solution? Our School is now Remote / Hybrid and we have equipment going EVERYWHERE. It would be really helpful to know if when a device last checked in what it's Public IP was when we are trying to track things down. Granted we don't use the 192.x network internally so we can sort out as to what's offsite but that still doesn't give us any ability to track down ISP level issues.
David_Goodwin
Engaged Sweeper II
We had a laptop stolen last night. The implementation of the public ip address would help our campus police department to track down the device. It would also help us identify networks we actually utilize by showing ip info that's not from a dhcp router.
mc_connected
Engaged Sweeper II
Bummer! Good to know the status though. Thanks for explaining. Maybe this will be my next pet project.

I don't suppose LS is pluggable? Is there is a way to hook into the reception of an incoming lspush communication? That would be the perfect time to check for the sender's (external) IP. Or am I dreaming?
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
I've double check that this feature is still on the wishlist. Features on the customer wish list get development prioritization based on a combination of customer demand and difficulty to implement. Since this is a feature which is rarely requested and would require a significant amount of development, I can't unfortunately not give an estimated release date.

The best workaround currently is to find a third party tool which has some sort of location tracking function and deploy it on all your assets using the deployment module.
mc_connected
Engaged Sweeper II
Did this feature ever get attention? I agree that it would be a great addition.