cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have to give the congrats to Moernaut for such great product. At our company we will buy the premium tools, to support you on such great product. PO is on the way...

Now some of the features we need/use at our environment, maybe this can help you with some features:
- on the vnc push client, we have the need to ask the client to allow the connection, this way we preserve the user privacy, he has to explicitly allow the admin connection to his desktop (I've done this based on vnc, now I need to adapt it a bit to integrate with Lansweeper)

- some of the custom actions, I've implemented and I can share if someone is interested:
. sap logon restore (users sometimes delete entries, with a click I can restore it)
. schedule a disk check on the next reboot
. check if someone is really logged on (using psloggedon)
. clean local obsolete profiles (older than 6 months)
. recreate important shortcuts that the user removes
9 REPLIES 9
tdewar1
Engaged Sweeper
I definitely agree. I have been using Lansweeper for about 3 weeks now and the Premium version for about 2 weeks (It took about 20 minutes using the free version for me to decide to go premium). Every day I find new things that it can do. I have been telling everyone I know to get the Premium version. I have seen software that cost 20 times the amount that can't do half as much.

I also love all the custom reports and actions everyone has been posting. Once I get better at this I will create some of my own and post them to repay all of you.
Matt_Sullivan
Engaged Sweeper
I'll agree. I found Lansweeper while looking for inventory software. I've been using it for almost 8 months in my network and its work flawlessly. It's helped me troubleshoot machines, find "who's using what", as well as tying user to machines.

3 days ago I decided to go ahead and spend $150 - people, its only $150 - for the premium and MAN is it awesome. I installed the AD piece and it worked immediately, so I scrapped my Group Policy script that was scanning before. And the client free remote control is awesome. And the remote screenshots? Web based? Come on guys. If you're responsible for managing even 10 machines, all of these features will save you TONS of time and money. No more "going up to the 4th floor to help out a user" for me.

All of it has worked flawlessly for me. I highly recommend it. Great work.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Before the scan starts the service does a check for 3 requirements and reports the errors in the database
- Wmi access
- remote registry access
- fileshare access

If one of these checks fail, the computer is not scanned and is considered "not good configured", then the error is reported in the interface so the administrator can correct his mistake.
taeratrin
Champion Sweeper
I just started using (testing) this product in my organization's network, and am so far very impressed. I was trying several others out before I found this (Zenoss, Spiceworks, Hyperic, etc), but none have provided the functionality I needed. I hated that they were all server-focused and only really provided the ability to view information. With the custom actions (combined with psexec and nircmd), Lansweeper stands above them all. I have seen some commercial software that provides alot of these functions, but the cost is ridiculous ($100 per node is not feasible when you have 500+ nodes).

There are just a few suggestions I have that would make this the ultimate product :
1) Use WMI instead of registry to gather information. I don't like having Remote Registry enabled.
2) More interaction with AD. It'd be nice to, instead of having to run the lsclient on each computer you want monitored, just pull in a the list of computers from AD. It'd also be nice if it would report OU's when viewing users and computers. I imagine this wouldn't be that hard to put in myself, but I haven't spent all that much time with it.
3) Along the same lines as above, more control of AD. Renaming computers, resetting passwords, add/remove from group, etc. would all be great features as I'd imagine most people using this are doing tasks like these on a regular basis (at least, I know I do)

There are a few others that may occur to me in the future, but all-in-all, it's a great program.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
taeratrin wrote:

1) Use WMI instead of registry to gather information. I don't like having Remote Registry enabled.
2) More interaction with AD. It'd be nice to, instead of having to run the lsclient on each computer you want monitored, just pull in a the list of computers from AD. It'd also be nice if it would report OU's when viewing users and computers. I imagine this wouldn't be that hard to put in myself, but I haven't spent all that much time with it.
3) Along the same lines as above, more control of AD. Renaming computers, resetting passwords, add/remove from group, etc. would all be great features as I'd imagine most people using this are doing tasks like these on a regular basis (at least, I know I do)

1) Most scanning is done by WMI, except for the custom registry keys which most people use.
2) All this will be in version 3.2 for premium users.
3) You can already accomplish this if you use the right actions with a vbscript.
taeratrin
Champion Sweeper
Lansweeper wrote:

1) Most scanning is done by WMI, except for the custom registry keys which most people use.

Then why does it not report anything at all if Remote Registry is disabled? I know from my own scanning programs that you don't need RR for WMI to work.
Optilan
Engaged Sweeper
Yeah and this is WAY better than spiceworks, so expect 8 million dollar's in the mail when everyone realises that. 🙂
Optilan Communication Systems www.optilan.com
tstock
Engaged Sweeper
I just wanted to say, I think Lansweeper is an awesome product (I haven't donated yet, but I will shortly). I love the upgrades you have put into 3.1. The interface is so much faster (and looks cool too). I want to send this into TechNet magazine's Toolbox column and see if you can get published there, but I want to get your permission first. My experience, if you get posted on there, you will receive a lot of hits. Maybe you have already been featured in that column, I don't know.
Engaged Sweeper II
I am interested in your custom actions. Please post if you can... Thanks!