cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rseiler
Engaged Sweeper III
Update: Since I don't think you can mix 1.1 and 2.0 in the same site (for separate sites it's fine), how can I move Lansweeper out of Default Web Site and DefaultAppPool and create an independent site/pool for it?

I installed LS on SBS 2003 R2, and it seemed to go well. The LS site was installed in a new virtual directory called Lansweeper, just as is shown in the manual. It works.

The problem, is that the installer set all of our sites to ASP.NET 2.0. This actually breaks the Sharepoint 2.0 site, which requires ASP.NET 1.1. Fortunately, we have SP 3.0 installed in parallel and use it now, and it is compatible with ASP.NET 2.0, but this is beside the point.

Do you realize the effect that LS has on SBS 2003? That is, the majority still using Sharepoint 2.0?

How exactly do I change 2.0 back to 1.1, and will that affect LS?

Do all sites need to be either 1.1 or 2.0, helping explain why you set all sites to 2.0?

I see how you can go into the properties of each site and set 1.1, but you can't go to the top-level "Web Sites" and do it (so that it would affect all sites), since the ability to change version there is greyed out.

I'm very cautious about this whole 1.1 vs 2.0 thing, since I know once false step and you can have major issues.

The error page when you try to access the Sharepoint 2.0 site refers to this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894903

I did a search for all our web.config files (there are many, and I have no idea which one is used), and none except for the one in the LS directory has a recent date, so I'm hoping that the LS install doesn't touch any web.config files and that the STSADM procedure is unneeded. Is that the case?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
rseiler
Engaged Sweeper III
I'm not sure why other SBS 2003 users over the years (and surely you've had some, even though there is some overlapping functionality between the two) didn't bring this problem to your attention before. The need for 1.1 has been there all along. SBS 2008 doesn't have the issue.

I did create a new site as you suggested, and also a standalone app pool (the old pool remains behind for now, hopefully harmlessly, as it needs Metabase Explorer to delete it). The site didn't work initially until I realized that "Execute Permissions - Scripts only" needed to be set for it (default is None).
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
we will try to reproduce the problem and change our installer.

Your webfiles should still be in c:\program files\lansweeper\website.

Create a new website, to be safe let it run on another port (port 81), name it lansweeper and point it to c:\program files\lansweeper\website
Set the asp.net configuration to asp.net 2.0

Now browse to http://servername:81
rseiler
Engaged Sweeper III
It's SBS 2003 R2 SP2 with the default Sharepoint 2 (WSS2).

OK, setting SP2 (Companyweb) back to 1.1 does work, but it really should never have been changed to 2.0 in the first place. SP2 is the "Companyweb" site in SBS 2003 and not part of Default Web Site.

Also, Default Web Site should never have been changed to 2.0 in this case, since in SBS 2003 it needs to be 1.1 for a myriad of the virtual directories within it to work.

When installing, I was presented with two options:
-Install Lansweeper website as default website
-Install Lansweeper website in following virtual directory (this is the one we chose)

What would the first option have done? Would it have put Lansweeper on its own site (I'm a little unclear on what "as" means here)? If so, that in conjunction with the installer setting only that site to 2.0, would have bypassed the issue. I didn't know about any of this before installing so figured the second choice would be fine, so there should be a note included directing SBS 2003 users to make the right choice.

Right now, since Default Web Site is back on 1.1, LS isn't functional. I can manually delete the LS site and app pool but would appreciate some guidance on how they should be re-created as an independent site.

Thanks
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Could you give the following information so we can try to reproduce.
OS,service pack, sharepoint version.

Most likely you can solve the problem by removing the lansweeper virtual directory and changing the sharepoint site to 1.1, en changing the authentication method (if needed)

Lansweeper only edit's it's own web.config file.