cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LithiumKid1976
Champion Sweeper
hi
Just going back to a previous question i logged, where lansweeper was not finding usernames in the search area.
i just got back to check out something, i have noticed that the machines which the user logs on too, are comming up with this error.

Wmierror Cannot connect to DCOM port 135 : Firewalled? (MI3171) 03/06/2009 17:23:03
Wmierror The RPC server is unavailable 0x800706BA (xxxx.marine.ie, MIxxxx, 10.11.2.10) 03/06/2009 17:23:02

and are marked "red" on the digital dashboard (about 38 in total)

so the people who use these machines, we are not getting the full info back.,
How do i go about rectifying this?

Thanks
Damien
22 REPLIES 22
bdoser
Engaged Sweeper
we were having this problem on our network and I found a solution. we use a thirdparty management tool for DNS. the namespace records for the computers that were experiencing this problem were not up to date. if I did an nslookup on a computer that was experiencing the error the IP address would not match the computers IP address. I was able to remove the offending entires from the third party app and did a release and renew on the computer and the error goes away.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Lansweeper queries the dns server (same as your ping)

So the problem is related to your dns server caching settings,wins not working,dhcp not updating dns or your dns servers not properly configured or not replicating.
LithiumKid1976
Champion Sweeper
hi
when i try to ping MI1565 i get replys from the .79 ipaddress.

doing an nbtstat -a x.x.x.129 shows the netbios name as MI1565
doing it on the .79 address shows host not found....

thanks
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Could you try to ping to MI1565.xxxxxxxxx.ie on the lansweeper service machine.
Does it resolve to the correct address?
LithiumKid1976
Champion Sweeper
hi
when i look at the machine using the lasweeper consol, its still showing this error

Scan Error Time
Wmierror The RPC server is unavailable 0x800706BA (MI1565.xxxxxxxxx.ie, MI1565, xx.xxx.79) 21/08/2009 08:05:31
Wmierror Cannot connect to DCOM port 135 : Firewalled? (MI1565) 21/08/2009 08:05:31

but i know that the ipaddress thats shown above, is no longer valid. ie
that above address is dead, where the new one is xx.xx.xx.129

hope that makes sence. even though it looks like it scanned this morning at 8:05:31, the machine MI1565 is no longer at the x.x.x.79 ip, its at x.x.x.129 and has beens since yesterday around 14:00.

Thanks
Damien

Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Yes, this is the correct one.
Which are the issues you have at the moment, what is the error in the errors tab?
LithiumKid1976
Champion Sweeper
Hi
for the lansweeperservice.exe i have file version 3.5.2.0

is that the correct one?
Thanks
Damien
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Could you try beta 3.5.2, it fixes a problem with incorrect dns entries.
LithiumKid1976
Champion Sweeper
Hi
i made some changes there, i stoped the firewall service completly.
noticed that when i tried to remote desktop to the offending machine, it was connecting to a diffrent machine.
i removed the incorrect entry in the dhcp. it now has a new ip address, which i can telnet to.
it still showing issues under lansweeper console, and i think its because its pointing to the old ipaddress.

what else can i check, and how long would it talk for the system to update if it was working now?

thanks.
Damien