cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datev
Engaged Sweeper II
Hello,

I'm looking for solution(s) to do asset management, and a bit of control over PCs. Mostly control over patching.

Can I use Lansweeper to control what Windows Update is doing?
Kinda like RMM Agents, that control the windows update cycle, reboot (or no reboot).

I don't need to approve updates with it, I want Windows to search for updates, and would be nice to see in LS which updates does the computer need (merely display what WU is saying it would need), and then start the update, hold the reboot (or reboot).

And, can I deploy the agent to devices without group policy, for isntance as a push (or WPP in my case, that works via Windows Update)? I saw with Itarian and Solarwinds RMM that I can deploy agents by merely finding them in the network, providing credentials, and then pushing the installer to the client.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
datev
Engaged Sweeper II
Thanks. Actually the answer I was expecting.
grimstar
Champion Sweeper II
The answer to this one is a bit of a yes and no, but mostly no. Lansweeper isn't designed to be a real-time monitoring agent, but more of a reporting tool with some software deployment technology built in. Outside of reports, Lansweeper has no way of knowing which patches a particular machine needs as it would need a hook in to something like WSUS/WU, which it doesn't have. Could you theoretically do something? Yes. Would it be a painfully manual process? Also yes.

Reboot management again would be possible but maybe not up to snuff in regards to options as you would need to know exactly what you want to do with all of these devices in advance. If I wanted to do it I would monitor the regkey that is flagged post-Windows update, create a report (or reports) out of it, and then kick off a software distribution (shutdown -r etc etc) as a result of being on that particular report.

Not familiar with WPP, however the agent is a straight executable that can be run silently. I push it out via SCCM, which deploys and runs as admin.