cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moopere
Engaged Sweeper II
Hello Folks,

After spending a day fiddling about with an expired trial version of Lansweeper (now in free mode) I've got to ask, is the deployment functionality supposed to work? Or is this a paid feature only?

I'm not being successful running any deployment, not even the built in ones - and there is no indication of anything happening - nothing (obvious) in the logs, no on-screen dialogs - it just doesn't work.

So the question to the larger community is - does anyone running the free version of Lansweeper have deployment working?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Moopere wrote:
Esben.D wrote:
The only limitation for the free version is the number of assets.

However, maybe the key error is an issue, have you tried just applying a new trial key as a test?

Yes, I tried that after I noticed the "License Key not authorized" messages in the log. Now it tells me that I've already used a trial version and I can't use another one.

I think it might be because you attempted to apply another unlimited trial key (since you might have requested it with a different business email address).

What if you request another key with the same email address of the expired license or just use a webmail?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Moopere
Engaged Sweeper II
Yep did that and the problem appears to now be resolved.

Apparently something to do with the license system changing ... old trial licenses, even though expired, are a problem and need to be replaced.

Thanks to support for assisting me - hope this thread helps others who must surely be facing the same problem.
Moopere
Engaged Sweeper II
I was working at another site over the weekend, also running Lansweeper Free (expired trial), but this one doesn't have "INFO Warning - License Key is not authorized" in the logs, instead it is continually reporting "Freeware Version" and at this site deployment works.

So, looks like something has gone boing at the first site with the license. Anyone got any clues as to how I might go about clearing out the license information so I can get back to a working trial which will expire into a working Freeware version?

Moopere wrote:
I was working at another site over the weekend, also running Lansweeper Free (expired trial), but this one doesn't have "INFO Warning - License Key is not authorized" in the logs, instead it is continually reporting "Freeware Version" and at this site deployment works.

So, looks like something has gone boing at the first site with the license. Anyone got any clues as to how I might go about clearing out the license information so I can get back to a working trial which will expire into a working Freeware version?

Would have to email support I would imagine, I can't imagine they would want it public how to clear out the license for a trial version again etc.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee

However, maybe the key error is an issue, have you tried just applying a new trial key as a test?
Moopere
Engaged Sweeper II
Esben.D wrote:

Yes, I tried that after I noticed the "License Key not authorized" messages in the log. Now it tells me that I've already used a trial version and I can't use another one.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Moopere wrote:
Esben.D wrote:

I think it might be because you attempted to apply another unlimited trial key (since you might have requested it with a different business email address).

What if you request another key with the same email address of the expired license or just use a webmail?

Moopere
Engaged Sweeper II
Number of licensed assets: 42

The lansweeper version is whatever is the latest - I had to migrate the install to a VM and took the opportunity to upgrade at the same time.

My feeling, based on nothing actually, is that its license related. The fact that nothing at all is reported makes me think this functionality is fundamentally blocked. I'm suspicious of the errorlog : "INFO Warning - License Key is not authorized". That looks important, but I don't know what it means.

Anyway, does anyone running free have deployment working? If so, then obviously my install is borked and I'll take it from there. If not, well, I'll stop trying to bang my head against a wall. If it doesn't work it doesn't work and thats fine.
CyberCitizen
Honored Sweeper
Depends on 1) how many assets you have listed, if you have more than 100 I don't think it works. Eg exclude everything without a purpose, in our case we have Printers and Windows machines only. Get your asset count below 100.

Also what version are you on, I believe the older versions after the trial just stopped working, the newer versions allow upto a certain number of assets.
Moopere
Engaged Sweeper II
> The site says Software Deployment is free up to 100 clients.

I had this impression as well - yet I'm at a loss to explain why its not working and not leaving even a log entry indicator as to why that might be.

> There is a report called "Windows: Deployment logs". Do you see anything here?

Nothing. Its completely blank

> Also, if you check the actual client(s) that you are deploying to, a "Deployment" button appears between
> History and Docs that shows the status of anything that you targeted it with.

Likewise, nothing. I'm of the impression that this tab will appear when the first log against the client is generated. I don't think any logs are being generated here.

My errorlog.txt is full of this however:

"2019-08-27 20:11:41,795 [3] INFO Warning - License Key is not authorized"

Which might be entirely normal, but seems suspicious to me. Note though that I don't seem to be getting a license warning for each Deployment attempt. The license warning seems to just appear at regular intervals, regardless of whatever I'm doing at the front end.