cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plsjohnjohn
Engaged Sweeper II

Installs Microsoft Edge (Chromium) on x64 system, and checks for current or newer version before installing.

This will also upgrade older versions if they are present.

One thing to note with Microsoft Edge (Chromium) installers, is they will error if there are Pending Windows Updates. Took me a bit to realize this and figure out why it fails sometimes. If the machine is fully patched, it will install fine. If it is not, it will give a 1603 general error, so keep that in mind.

2 REPLIES 2
StevenD
Engaged Sweeper II
PLSJohnJohn wrote:
Installs Microsoft Edge (Chromium) on x64 system, and checks for current or newer version before installing.

One thing to note with Microsoft Edge (Chromium) installers, is they will error if there are Pending Windows Updates. Took me a bit to realize this and figure out why it fails sometimes. If the machine is fully patched, it will install fine. If it is not, it will give a 1603 general error, so keep that in mind.

Thanks very much for sharing this package! I was wondering if you happened to know of a way to also check for the existence of Classic Edge? as a condition to proceed with install.
At the moment, if no instance of Edge Chromium is present then the deployment stops with error "No Return Code".

Thanks!
plsjohnjohn
Engaged Sweeper II
LS_enthusiast_4444 wrote:
PLSJohnJohn wrote:

Thanks very much for sharing this package! I was wondering if you happened to know of a way to also check for the existence of Classic Edge? as a condition to proceed with install.
At the moment, if no instance of Edge Chromium is present then the deployment stops with error "No Return Code".

Thanks!

I'm not sure how to check for the classic version of Edge. I don't have any more machines with it installed. I'd guess the .exe or app is located in another directory completely different from where the Edge Chromium installer puts it. Since the classic Edge is basically a Microsoft App store app, you can probably identify where the executable is from Task Manager when it is running. I think you can right-click it and Open Location. I'd assume if the .exe is present in whatever directory that's in, you could use that as your detection rule. Just an idea.