cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keys_it
Engaged Sweeper III

Hello,

In order to deploy Office 365 ProPlus 2013 and 2016 there are few requirements to download and setup. For our environment we have a dedicated deployment share for all sites for these instructions I will use the \\networkpath\Office 365 for this guide but you will need to replace this with your own network paths.

For our environment, we created the following subfolders:

For each of those folders we created another subfolder:

• OfficeProPlus

Download C2R setup files:
You need to download the Office Deployment tool for Click to Run for the version you want to deploy and run the setup to extract the files. Copy only the Setup.exe file into the version\OfficeProPlus folder that you are deploying.
2013 file - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36778
2016 file - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117

Configuration XML Files
Download the attached Office365ProPlusInstall - Silent.xml configuration files that I have already setup and copy them to version\OfficeProPlus folder.
Edit both the XML files with your favorite notepad program to adjust the paths to your environment.

Download source files
Now you will need to create a batch script that will download the source files for your for your office version.
I created a Update_Package - Office365ProPlus.bat script in each version\OfficeProPlus folder with the following commands:
2013 batch - "\\networkpath\Office 365\2013\OfficeProPlus\setup.exe" /download "\\networkpath\Office 365\2013\OfficeProPlus\Office365ProPlusInstall - Silent.xml"

2016 batch - "\\networkpath\Office 365\2016\OfficeProPlus\setup.exe" /download "\\networkpath\Office 365\2016\OfficeProPlus\Office365ProPlusInstall - Silent.xml"

After the download finishes, you will be ready to import the Lansweeper Deployment package and deploy Office 365 ProPlus 2013 or 2016.

You can also use this method to deploy other Office software provided in your Office 365 subscription such as VisioPro or ProjectPro.

*** I have updated this deployment package to include the OffScrub.vbs scripts and a method to uninstall all previous versions as indicated by several comments.
Edit Line #4 in Pre-OfficeUninstall.ps1 script to the network path that you will store the linked Remove-PreviousOfficeInstalls.ps1 files here https://1drv.ms/u/s!AubfyF65XTIkg7MWSArLt6IztbnPtg

7 REPLIES 7
Lewis_Spokane
Engaged Sweeper III
How to verify that it worked?

My update path is the CDN and not a network share. Will it not check the CDN until the regularly scheduled time?

I changed the channel on my own machine to "targeted" which should put me at version 1902 but I'm still sitting on 1808 after deploying the package and restarting my machine.

edit: Since deploying the package I'm getting a lot of errors in Event Viewer that say Windows Update Failure 3
Lewis_Spokane
Engaged Sweeper III
Question: Step 5 command, do you need the quotes around the network path?
Lewis_Spokane wrote:
Question: Step 5 command, do you need the quotes around the network path?

Yes because if there is any spaces in your network path, dos won't get there unless you have wrapped the path in quotes.

I am deploying office like below.

"{PackageShare}\Office 365\2016\OfficeProPlus\setup.exe" /configure "{PackageShare}\Office 365\2016\OfficeProPlus\Office365ProPlusInstall - Silent.xml"
maltenburger
Engaged Sweeper
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. This is very helpful.

keys_it
Engaged Sweeper III
I have updated the package with additional scripts to meet those needs. We had to tackle this issue for a new environment sometime last year but I never thought about updating the package on here.
joshmaline
Engaged Sweeper
Our MS velocity team pointed us to the Offscrub utility (.vbs script), There is a different scrubber for each version of office you run and you can switch on/off what products you wish to uninstall or just use the /ALL switch to wipe it clean. I found the scripts out there on github, but this is the article they pointed me to on how to use them for 07, you can search github for 10, and 13. Offscrub article

wxfisch
Engaged Sweeper II
This is good, and I have a deployment setup similar to this, however we need to uninstall Office 2013 and 2010 from client PCs prior to installing Office 365. Currently I am checking a registry key (word.application CurVer) to determine which version of office is installed, and then trying to use the Setup.exe /uninstall command to to uninstall office silently (using a configuration.xml file to tell it to run silently). I have two problems though:

First, is that the uninstaller does not seem to run at all. I have tried various batch scripts and command line deployment options, it always throws an error that /uninstall is not a valid switch (which it clearly is, it works when I run it manually)

Second is that the deployment commands do not wait for the installer (and I am guessing the uninstaller) to finish before moving to the next step, which for the installer is success. I need to know that the installation actually was successful, not that it was started successfully, as well as ensure that the uninstall of the old versions finished before moving onto installing the new versions.