cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SimpleGuy
Engaged Sweeper
I have just started using LAN Sweeper and need some help in configuring different domains to show-up on the dashboard.

As of now, only my default domain shows-up ... i am a bit confused as to where exactly or how to configure different domains & auhentications. I have filled up details in'IP Range Scanning'... 'Active Scanning' ... 'Domain Credentials'

Please help

Regards,
Pete

7 REPLIES 7
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
1) you can enable or disable it with the management console, takes up to 15 minutes to be active.
2) on the server http://127.0.0.1:9524
SimpleGuy
Engaged Sweeper
(1) How can i start or stop 'Active Scanning' manually?

(2) How can i monitor 'Active Scanning'?

Regards,
Fadal
SimpleGuy
Engaged Sweeper
I want to understand 'Active Scanning' versus 'IP Range Scanning' a bit more in detail

(1) Can both of them run in parallel? any downside to using this?

(2) Active scanning needs DNS setup for untrusted domains to be correct, which im struggling as of now... the way i can get it working is to keep changing the primary & secondary DNS servers to point to correct untrusted domains but is not feasible in the long run (maybe im not doing it correctly?)... i have 5 physically separate domains connected via a VPN link

(3) How about if i turn off 'Active Scanning' and only use 'IP Range Scanning' for all untrusted domains? will it give the same results?

Some more detail information about scanning untrusted domains would help a lot

Regards,
Pete
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
(1) Can both of them run in parallel? any downside to using this?

Most people use it in parallel, but ip scanning is mostly used for non-computers.

(2) Active scanning needs DNS setup for untrusted domains to be correct, which im struggling as of now... the way i can get it working is to keep changing the primary & secondary DNS servers to point to correct untrusted domains but is not feasible in the long run (maybe im not doing it correctly?)... i have 5 physically separate domains connected via a VPN link

You can keep one dns server (your current one) and on the dns server create forwarders to the other domains.

(3) How about if i turn off 'Active Scanning' and only use 'IP Range Scanning' for all untrusted domains? will it give the same results?

If the windows firewall is on the computers will never be discovered with ip scanning.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
See these errors:
28/04/2010 5:29:12 PM: fbah.com The server is not operational.
28/04/2010 5:44:21 PM: fugro.com.om The server is not operational.
28/04/2010 5:44:43 PM: auh.com The server is not operational.
28/04/2010 5:45:05 PM: fbah.com The server is not operational.

You need to be able to access the dns servers to get it to work.
a Host file won't do the trick.

You can add multiple dns servers on the server or configure forwarding to the other dns servers.

See here: http://www.lansweeper.com/kb/untrusted.aspx
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Normally active scanning will do the trick.
Could you post a screenshot of your config please.
And your errorlog.txt file.
Lansweeper wrote:
Normally active scanning will do the trick.
Could you post a screenshot of your config please.
And your errorlog.txt file.

----------------------------

LAN Sweeper picks up printers & NAS devices form other networks... but no systems.

Errorlog.txt is attached

Mapping of different networks is done via hosts file.... all networks can be reached from this system where LS is installed... devices from other networks appears under 'Device Overview' ... other domains dont appear under 'Domain Overview'

Regards,
Pete