cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danielm
Champion Sweeper II
Before you can use the deployment it seems you need provide a
Default Package Share username and password under the Security Options TAB.

I only see the info "Provide an account with read-execute rights only on the shared folder. Using an administrator account is a severe security risk! This password will be accesible to all users."

So, should his be a domain user? Must I make a new special domain user that can access this share? I'll then need to restrict it down so it can't access anything else or logon anywhere so will this affect it's use?

Where exactly is this user used in the sysytem?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Michael_V
Champion Sweeper III
The easiest way would be to create a new domain user which has only access to this share.

This username is used each time a client deployment needs access to {packetshare} on the workstation.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
FixitDave
Champion Sweeper
From what I see, the package creates a one off scheduled task on the remote computer to execute each step in the package.

The share permissions you configure are only to gain access to the package share to gain access to the files you specify with the {PackageShare} parameter.

The actual task is run with the credentials you specify (system, scanned acct or logged in user).

If your command starts with the {PackageShare} parameter, it's executed from the computer you deployed it to directly from the share.

Hope that helps...
danielm
Champion Sweeper II
ok 1 more question.
does the "package" run remotely from the package share or get copied?
I took a peek at one that was failing and it looked like the process was actually running off the remote package share.
FixitDave
Champion Sweeper
I assume this is for Vista and above as it fails to work on our XP (please don't laugh) machines
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
FixitDave wrote:
I assume this is for Vista and above as it fails to work on our XP (please don't laugh) machines

Deployments should work on Windows XP and higher. (Windows 2000 and older operating systems are not supported.) If you run into issues, please contact support@lansweeper.com

FixitDave wrote:
From what I see, the package creates a one off scheduled task on the remote computer to execute each step in the package.

The share permissions you configure are only to gain access to the package share to gain access to the files you specify with the {PackageShare} parameter.

The actual task is run with the credentials you specify (system, scanned acct or logged in user).

Correct. Share credentials are used to access files referenced in your deployment, scanning credentials are used to create scheduled tasks on your machines to run the deployment and the scheduled tasks are run under your system accounts/scanning credentials/currently logged on users, depending on which option you choose.
danielm
Champion Sweeper II
ok. will do another test when I can and email in.
thanks
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
LOGONTO should only be required for the scanning credential accessing the client machine to create the scheduled task that will run the deployment, not for the share credential accessing the deployment files.

It might be better to troubleshoot this via email however, so we can see which deployment step is actually throwing the error you're referring to. If you continue to run into issues, please contact support@lansweeper.com and we will follow up via email.
danielm
Champion Sweeper II
As most people do not use the LOGONTO restrictions in windows perhaps you have not tested this, but on my installation i noticed that if the package share credential does not have LOGONTO "all"
I get Result: An extended error has occurred. Credential: (zzz\zzz). ShareCredential: (zzz\zzz).

Is this something I can work around? Or a better question would be, under what conditions would that credential be public?
danielm
Champion Sweeper II
great.
Name in format user or DOMAIN\USER ?
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
danielm wrote:
great.
Name in format user or DOMAIN\USER ?

Use the same format as for scanning credentials: NetBIOS domain name\username for domain users and .\username for local users.