cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
memxit
Engaged Sweeper III
Situation A (Not ideal at all):
- A user who has never submitted a ticket or accessed the help desk web page submits their very first ticket via e-mail
- That user then visits the help desk web site
- The web site pops up a dialog asking for the users e-mail address (I assume because the address is already in use on the account created by the e-mail submission)
- The user must enter their e-mail address, then the web site asks if they'd like to send a request for an administrator to assign that e-mail address to them as it already exists in the system.
- If the user selects no, it prompts for their e-mail again.
- If the user selects yes, an administrator must magically stumble across the users/roles page in lansweeper and notice some user has requested an e-mail address to be assigned (no obvious notifications of the request)

Situation B (Ideal):
- A user accesses lansweeper help desk for the very first time (they've never submitted a ticket)
- The web site loads without any prompts, creates the user with their e-mail address automatically and they see the main help desk dashboard

For Situation A, can it be changed so a user can submit a ticket via e-mail for the first time, and when they access the web dashboard, it just automatically associates them to the e-mail/user that was created by the e-mail submission? So there are no prompts pop ups or needs to administrator approvals?

This is very frustrating as-is, we couldn't possibly require everyone in the company to access the web help desk page before they submit tickets via e-mail just to avoid this annoyance.
4 REPLIES 4
memxit
Engaged Sweeper III
Works exactly as you described. Now that our test user has been scanned into LanSweeper, it's seamless.
memxit
Engaged Sweeper III
That makes sense, let me test this. We were using a test AD account that just had e-mail added to it. Lansweeper has ran it's overnight scan by now, so it should have all the needed information. I will confirm it works as described...
Karel_DS
Champion Sweeper III
This should already happen if that user got scanned from Active Directory. Otherwise there is no way to link the email to the user logging in. We advise scanning all users which will be accessing the website. In case you're working in a workgroup you can just add all local users at once on the Configuration -> User Access & Roles page.

For security reasons we don't allow users to link themselves to already existing emails. We'll consider adding a better notification for users requesting this.
b8rtm8nn
Engaged Sweeper III
Karel DS wrote:
This should already happen if that user got scanned from Active Directory. Otherwise there is no way to link the email to the user logging in. We advise scanning all users which will be accessing the website. In case you're working in a workgroup you can just add all local users at once on the Configuration -> User Access & Roles page.

For security reasons we don't allow users to link themselves to already existing emails. We'll consider adding a better notification for users requesting this.

I think this model is a little flawed, especially since the email notification starts with a link to the website.

We have multiple, untrusted ADs that get scanned by Lansweeper. In our situation, a user account exists in both, but only one (let's call this secureAD) account gets picked up as a result of scanning, the other is their enterprise account (EnterpriseAD). Both have the same email address attached to their user object.

Lansweeper authenticates on EnterpriseAD (because everyone has that account), so when user tries to sign in, they cannot set an email address because it conflicts with Secure AD email address from the scan. We can set up the EnterpriseAD account to use the same email address on the back-end, so there is a workaround, but allowing the same email address just makes sense in this scenario. Also, if a user only logs onto resource in the SecureAD, their EnterpriseAD account is never added to Lansweeper (and our EnterpriseAD has over 70,000 users, so I'm not scanning that for my 1200 users).

Can you make it to allow users to link themselves to existing email addresses an optional configuration, set by administrators?