cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rkeith1959
Engaged Sweeper
i have just started using LanSweeper and i am trying to establish a method to manage my autodesk Inventor Licences - the issue I have is that Inventor also installs other programs like Mechanical Desktop, which are covered in the Licence for Inventor. I cant see a way of making them companion products so they can be ignored for licencing reasons.

Also, I cant see how to flag a software product so that it is ignored for software compliance reasons.

And another thing !! the software compliance reports only show a non-conformance if there is at least one licence in the system. What is Lansweeper's thinking to identify software that the IT department have not installed, and know nothing about ?

Any help and guidance much appreciated.

Richard
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
rkeith1959 wrote:
the issue I have is that Inventor also installs other programs like Mechanical Desktop, which are covered in the Licence for Inventor. I cant see a way of making them companion products so they can be ignored for licencing reasons.

It is not currently possible to tell the software licence compliance module to treat several software packages as a single software bundle, if this is what you're asking.

rkeith1959 wrote:
Also, I cant see how to flag a software product so that it is ignored for software compliance reasons.

The compliance module only calculates compliance for the software packages you've selected. The software list you see when selecting a package includes all scanned software. It is not currently possible to hide software from this list, if this is what you're asking.

rkeith1959 wrote:
the software compliance reports only show a non-conformance if there is at least one licence in the system. What is Lansweeper's thinking to identify software that the IT department have not installed, and know nothing about ?

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking here. When creating a license item, you can see a full list of installed software, including any software that may not be authorized. To identify unauthorized software though, it might be best to use the Configuration\Authorization feature instead of the software license compliance module. See this article.

We do plan on expanding the software license compliance module to make it more flexible and allow it to account for things like software bundles and downgrade rights, though we do not have a release date for these changes at this time.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Kgoucher
Engaged Sweeper II
It would be nice to be able link software packages into groups so that they are recognised as one suite of software.
I also have difficulty with Autodesk Software which installs many packages as part of the same suite.
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
rkeith1959 wrote:
the issue I have is that Inventor also installs other programs like Mechanical Desktop, which are covered in the Licence for Inventor. I cant see a way of making them companion products so they can be ignored for licencing reasons.

It is not currently possible to tell the software licence compliance module to treat several software packages as a single software bundle, if this is what you're asking.

rkeith1959 wrote:

The compliance module only calculates compliance for the software packages you've selected. The software list you see when selecting a package includes all scanned software. It is not currently possible to hide software from this list, if this is what you're asking.

rkeith1959 wrote:
the software compliance reports only show a non-conformance if there is at least one licence in the system. What is Lansweeper's thinking to identify software that the IT department have not installed, and know nothing about ?

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking here. When creating a license item, you can see a full list of installed software, including any software that may not be authorized. To identify unauthorized software though, it might be best to use the Configuration\Authorization feature instead of the software license compliance module. See this article.

We do plan on expanding the software license compliance module to make it more flexible and allow it to account for things like software bundles and downgrade rights, though we do not have a release date for these changes at this time.
Ldag0507
Engaged Sweeper
Coming into the same problem. License compliance seems to be pretty difficult as everything has to be done manually. most of my licenses are subscription based and are kept on license servers. There is no automated method for linking the two.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now