cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ian_Prentice
Champion Sweeper
Hello,

Is there any way to stop specific assets from being scanned?

For example, I scan our IP range for assets, and our wired LAN and WiFi distribute the same DHCP range.

We have some machines with both wired LAN and WiFi enabled. this means that these devices are being scanned twice.
So, can I for example have a black list where I can enter a MAC address and exclude it from scanning?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice on how to resolve this.

Ian
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
If a protocol like SNMP or SSH is enabled, network devices with multiple IP addresses shouldn't generate multiple assets. From your initial post, I thought the issue was simply multiple scan requests being performed for the same device, not multiple assets being generated for the device.

If a network device has multiple IP addresses and the SNMP protocol is accessible for all IPs, Lansweeper will be able to pull a full list of device MACs from all IPs. Based on the overlap in MAC addresses, Lansweeper will know all of the IPs belong to the same device and only generate a single asset. I assume your network devices don't have SNMP enabled, in which case the ideal solution would be to enable this protocol.

Linux, Mac, Windows and VMware machines with multiple IPs shouldn't generate multiple assets either, if scanned through SSH, WMI and MOB, respectively.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Ian_Prentice
Champion Sweeper
Thanks for the additional info. It is Apple Macs that are the main culprit here. I have asked our users to turn off wifi where they have a wired LAN connection, but you know what users are like!
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
If a protocol like SNMP or SSH is enabled, network devices with multiple IP addresses shouldn't generate multiple assets. From your initial post, I thought the issue was simply multiple scan requests being performed for the same device, not multiple assets being generated for the device.

If a network device has multiple IP addresses and the SNMP protocol is accessible for all IPs, Lansweeper will be able to pull a full list of device MACs from all IPs. Based on the overlap in MAC addresses, Lansweeper will know all of the IPs belong to the same device and only generate a single asset. I assume your network devices don't have SNMP enabled, in which case the ideal solution would be to enable this protocol.

Linux, Mac, Windows and VMware machines with multiple IPs shouldn't generate multiple assets either, if scanned through SSH, WMI and MOB, respectively.
Ian_Prentice
Champion Sweeper
Thanks Susan,

Glad to hear it's on the wishlist. Currently, setting static IP's isn't really practical for us. The other exclusion options aren't suitable for my environment either.

Thankfully, I am not close to my licence limit yet, so I will wait for the update.

Thanks for your help!
Ian
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Excluding MAC addresses from scanning is not currently possible. This feature is on our customer wish list, but we do not have a release date for it unfortunately. In general, to prevent unwanted machines from being scanned, you either need to adjust your scanning setup under Configuration\Scanning Methods so the machines are not scanned by any scanning method or exclude the machines from scanning by following these instructions. You can exclude asset types, domains, specific Windows computers and specific IP addresses. In Lansweeper 6.0, currently in beta, you can exclude entire IP ranges as well.

If I understand correctly, you have machines with multiple IPs in the same range and you only want one of the machines' IPs excluded. The only exclusion in this case you can really use is the IP address exclusion. For this to be effective, you would really need static IPs though. If the problem machines are Windows computers, another option would be to tick Ignore Windows for the IP ranges submitted for IP Address Range Scanning. You can then exclusively use other, name based scanning methods (e.g. Active Scanning) to scan the Windows computers.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now