cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hirslanden
Engaged Sweeper
Cisco Lightweight WLAN AccessPoints can't do SNMP while connected to an Controller (Cisco WLC)

If I enable SSH on the AccessPoints, lansweeper detectes them as "linux".

Does anyone have experience with that? Is there any way to detect them correctly as Access Points? ...any suggestions? 🙂

Cheers
Thomas
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
If scanned asset type information is not correct, you can always manually override the asset type by following the instructions in this knowledge base article.

We use an extensive procedure to try and determine a device's asset type, but this procedure is not foolproof. SSH scanning specifically is actually only supported for *nix based systems like Linux, Unix and Mac, so it wouldn't surprise me that a device scanned with SSH (and no other protocol) would be detected as Linux. Network devices like access points, printers and switches are ideally scanned through SNMP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Lansweeper only scans specific information from SNMP. Performing custom SNMP scans is not currently possible. I'm not sure you'll be able to see access points managed by the WLC by scanning the WLC through SNMP. You'll likely need to scan the access points directly to detect them.
hirslanden
Engaged Sweeper
Thanks Susan.

Our AccessPoints are managed trough Cisco Wireless LAN Controller (WLC).

As the WLC knows all it's AccessPoints, it must be possible to read-out AccessPoints trough snmp.

Cisco confirmed that this is possible and allowed. How can I read that information out trough lansweeper?

Cheers
Thomas
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
If scanned asset type information is not correct, you can always manually override the asset type by following the instructions in this knowledge base article.

We use an extensive procedure to try and determine a device's asset type, but this procedure is not foolproof. SSH scanning specifically is actually only supported for *nix based systems like Linux, Unix and Mac, so it wouldn't surprise me that a device scanned with SSH (and no other protocol) would be detected as Linux. Network devices like access points, printers and switches are ideally scanned through SNMP.