cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Macman
Engaged Sweeper II
I have a deployment where I have separated out the individual roles for LANSweeper.

The LANSweeper service sits on one server, the database sits on a SQL Cluster and the website sits on a load balanced IIS cluster.

I can scan some assets and their icon turns Green when I click the button Ping Assets button but on other assets, the icon turns Red suggesting they cannot be reached. However when i remote into the server hosting the LANSweeper service, I can successfully ping the assets.

Can you please explain why this might be the case? I am guessing that the website is not forwarding the Ping request onto the server hosting the LANSweeper service but is trying to ping the assets itself.

Macman
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
You only would need to allow ICMP traffic on the firewall of your webserver. If that isn't possible, you either need to install your website onto a different server (i.e. your scanning server) or possibly quit using the online status indicator and instead configure IP range scanning with a shorter scanning interval for IP ranges you are interested in and refer to the "Last seen" date which gets updated every time your scanning server was able to scan the asset.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
You only would need to allow ICMP traffic on the firewall of your webserver. If that isn't possible, you either need to install your website onto a different server (i.e. your scanning server) or possibly quit using the online status indicator and instead configure IP range scanning with a shorter scanning interval for IP ranges you are interested in and refer to the "Last seen" date which gets updated every time your scanning server was able to scan the asset.
Macman
Engaged Sweeper II
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I thought this might be the case. However this does complicate my firewall rules somewhat as I now have to let 3 ip addresses through to carry out probes and not just one. I was trying to keep my risky IIS boxes away from sensitive areas in case they got compromised.

Is there any chance that these request could be passed off to the LANSweeper service instead of being done by the web server??

Macman
Michael_V
Champion Sweeper III
The ping is being done by the webserver, not by the service.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now