cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mickeyshowers
Engaged Sweeper III
I have been using the deployment tool to install AV agents with great reliability until I upgraded to .13

I'm at .15 now and thought maybe it would clear up the issue but it hasn't.

There's not anything special about the install. It's a single action that calls a batch file. I haven't changed anything in the batch file.

Installer
{PackageShare}\path\path\Installer.bat

Result: Deployment ended: Incorrect function. There is no 'Next' step available at the end of the package. Please adjust accordingly.

Causes of this error seem to be all over the board when I search. Where do I need to look to get some insight into what's going on? Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
This log message indicates two problems:
  1. The command gets executed, but an error message is returned. In order to know why, you need to manually test the command which you are using in your package. Replace "{PackageShare}" with the exact package share path defined under Deployment\Security options and run it in a command prompt on an affected target computer. This helps finding the cause of the issue. Note: In your batch script, be sure to close it with the correct error code. Successful execution of a batch script should be closed with
    EXIT /B 0

2. Your deployment package seems to have no Stop(Success) and/or Stop(Failure) as next action in the last step. This is required for the deployer to know when it can report the package as finished. Open the last step of your package and set the "Action on Success" to "Stop(Success)" and the "Action on Failure" to "Stop(Failure)"

Details on how to create a deployment package can be found in this KB article.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mickeyshowers
Engaged Sweeper III
Did you mean paths INSIDE the batch file or the path in the command that initiates the batch file?

In any case, removing the {PackageShare}\path\batch.bat with \\fullpath\batch.bat resolved my issue.

That solution smacks of DNS doesn't it?
mickeyshowers wrote:
Did you mean paths INSIDE the batch file or the path in the command that initiates the batch file?

What I meant is that inside the batch file you can't use the {PackageShare} placeholder. Directly in your package steps you can always use it.

Yes, if replacing {PackageShare} with a full path, you might need to change your package share folder as well under Deployment\Security options.

Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
In a batch file you need to use full UNC paths to any network folders. You can't use the {PackageShare} placeholder which you can use in Command steps directly in your deployment package. The {PackageShare} placeholder will automatically be exchanged by the path you defined under Deployment\Security options.

Now that you are using a batch file, you seem to have an issue with access to network folders. Check if the account you are deploying under (most probably your scanning credentials or your network users if you are deploying under the currently logged on user) have both NTFS and file share read and execute permissions on the paths you are referring to in your package.
mickeyshowers
Engaged Sweeper III
The message I receive when I try to run the package from a remote command prompt is Access Denied. I keep my package folder under netlogon, so I know everyone has read/execute and as I said, the package previously worked.

I even went to the folder and granted everyone full control...no change.

If I use the native deployment tool from the AV vendor, it works using the same credentials as I use in LS.

What am I missing here?

Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
This log message indicates two problems:
  1. The command gets executed, but an error message is returned. In order to know why, you need to manually test the command which you are using in your package. Replace "{PackageShare}" with the exact package share path defined under Deployment\Security options and run it in a command prompt on an affected target computer. This helps finding the cause of the issue. Note: In your batch script, be sure to close it with the correct error code. Successful execution of a batch script should be closed with
    EXIT /B 0

2. Your deployment package seems to have no Stop(Success) and/or Stop(Failure) as next action in the last step. This is required for the deployer to know when it can report the package as finished. Open the last step of your package and set the "Action on Success" to "Stop(Success)" and the "Action on Failure" to "Stop(Failure)"

Details on how to create a deployment package can be found in this KB article.