cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Luis89
Engaged Sweeper II
Hello,

I would like for our HP Laptops to display both their serial number & asset tag number in Lansweeper but I am not sure if this is possible. I entered the BIOS for a HP laptop and notice that there ar three options:

Asset tracking number
Ownership tag
Ownership tag2

I added the four digit number to the asset tracking number, saved my changes, and ran LSPUSH. On the Lansweeper dashboard I see the asset but now warranty information is broken and I see no asset tag number.

Now my questions are can we 1) Modify how the warranty and purchase field are populated and 2)Can we add a new field called asset tag in which gets populated by scanning the BIOS?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Though both WMI classes are scanned and generally return the same serial, I do believe the serial visible in the Summary tab of Windows computer webpages is actually pulled from win32_computersystemproduct, not win32_bios. The serial pulled from win32_bios is listed in the Config\Hardware\Bios section of the computer's Lansweeper webpage instead. If neither tag is the one you're interested in, the only way to detect additional tags would be through custom registry scanning. You can always manually add data to your assets as well, as explained by Daniel.

Changing the warranty scanning procedure, which is hard coded into the Lansweeper service, isn't possible. Warranty scanning takes the model, serial and (sometimes) SKU visible in the Summary tab of the asset and submits these values on the vendor's website to retrieve warranty details.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Though both WMI classes are scanned and generally return the same serial, I do believe the serial visible in the Summary tab of Windows computer webpages is actually pulled from win32_computersystemproduct, not win32_bios. The serial pulled from win32_bios is listed in the Config\Hardware\Bios section of the computer's Lansweeper webpage instead. If neither tag is the one you're interested in, the only way to detect additional tags would be through custom registry scanning. You can always manually add data to your assets as well, as explained by Daniel.

Changing the warranty scanning procedure, which is hard coded into the Lansweeper service, isn't possible. Warranty scanning takes the model, serial and (sometimes) SKU visible in the Summary tab of the asset and submits these values on the vendor's website to retrieve warranty details.

Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
We scan the serial number from WMI (class Win32_BIOS). If the data is not correct after you manually update your BIOS, you could edit the assets on the web console by opening an asset page and hitting Edit asset. In order to protect the fields from being overwritten on subsequent scans, ensure that the lock icon next to the field is enabled.