cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveinJP
Engaged Sweeper III
Is there any way that you can make the default action upon setup completion to not generate the automatic browser popup when installing or upgrading and "reason for" uninstall popup when uninstalling? At least give us a check box to suppress this behavior?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
FYI: I removed my earlier response to avoid confusion. I was focused on the "new installation" part of your question and didn't consider that the /silent parameter could work for this as well. The /silent parameter is mostly meant to be used in combination with the /upgrade parameter, to perform silent updates of installations with a lot of scanning servers.

I discussed this with Michael some more and to summarize:
  • Updates can definitely be made silent, as explained in the knowledge base.
  • New installs can probably be made silent as well, with the /silent or /verysilent parameters. We haven't fully tested this though.
  • The uninstall popup cannot currently be suppressed. There are no immediate plans to change this behavior. I'll add this to the wish list, but I don't think management will be in favor of making this optional. These popups are an invaluable tool for gathering feedback about the software.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anton_Derbenev_
Engaged Sweeper
btw, English is not my native language, so I may be confusing something (sry then), but I double about word invaluable. Do invaluable relates to valuable same way as invalid relates to valid?

If so, why the hell may you need invaluable feedback?

P.S. In my prev. post, I said conclusion, I want to explain further.
Current conclusion (which is implemented de facto) is to try to force users to give feedback, circumventing technical measures users applying to avoid it (silent switch).

To come to this conclusion, management thinks shortly "more feedback is better", which is unclear and often false. Consider following cases when more feedback is worse:
  • giving feedback upsets users and turns them away
  • feedback is gibberish
  • feedback is intentionally biased
  • feedback given by user who does not care (so it's either always first option or random choice)
Anton_Derbenev_
Engaged Sweeper
Hi all. Sorry for necromancy, but tonight I mistakenly silently installed LanSweeper on >100 PCs on my LAN using script.

I know it's my fail, and I feel stupid, but AFAIK it's not against the license, so it's not epic fail (at least yet).

Command line was (via Universal Silent Switch Finder):
"%srcpath%LansweeperSetup.exe" /SP- /VERYSILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /LOG /NORESTART /CLOSEAPPLICATIONS /NORESTARTAPPLICATIONS

This morning I thought, well, what is done should be undone.

Weirdly,
"%ProgramFiles%\Lansweeper\unins000.exe" /SP- /VERYSILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /LOG /NORESTART /CLOSEAPPLICATIONS /NORESTARTAPPLICATIONS
shows the message box!
http://imgur.com/a/rHzPb

Unfortunately, script runs via task scheduler under special account (which normal users don't login under). So there's nobody to dismiss the message box, and message box isn't even visible!

I know I better stop working at nighttime, because that's when mind is blurry, but now I'm panicking. I can't easily undo this 😞 Do I have to fallback to manually uninstalling LanSweeper from each machine? This will take a day!

And I've got counter-argument to
The uninstall popup cannot currently be suppressed. There are no immediate plans to change this behavior. I'll add this to the wish list, but I don't think management will be in favor of making this optional. These popups are an invaluable tool for gathering feedback about the software.

This is false conclusion, because:
  • if someone has 1 install and doesn't want to leave feedback so much he resorts to command line, you won't get adequate feedback whatever you show him (unless you offer money, but even then there will be many quitters). Also if user don't want to say anything, he can go offline for the time of uninstall.
  • When I (or anyone else) have to do this 100 times in a row, you won't get adequate feedback even if user usually wishing you well. You rather get biased feedback and curses.
  • If you like to read curses, but want to lower level you're upsetting your users, can add command line option to leave feedback during uninstall (or another option – user have to leave feedback once via site, but then site gives him passphrase, let's say, date/time based, which he can use to silently uninstall. Passphrase can be derived via secret on site and checked using open key in uninstaller)
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
FYI: I removed my earlier response to avoid confusion. I was focused on the "new installation" part of your question and didn't consider that the /silent parameter could work for this as well. The /silent parameter is mostly meant to be used in combination with the /upgrade parameter, to perform silent updates of installations with a lot of scanning servers.

I discussed this with Michael some more and to summarize:
  • Updates can definitely be made silent, as explained in the knowledge base.
  • New installs can probably be made silent as well, with the /silent or /verysilent parameters. We haven't fully tested this though.
  • The uninstall popup cannot currently be suppressed. There are no immediate plans to change this behavior. I'll add this to the wish list, but I don't think management will be in favor of making this optional. These popups are an invaluable tool for gathering feedback about the software.
Michael_V
Champion Sweeper III
When installing or upgrading you can already do everything silent.

There is a default package for this, see: http://www.lansweeper.com/kb/120/silently-updating-remote-scanning-servers.html

You can also use lansweepersetup.exe /verysilent