cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gustavo_decenci
Engaged Sweeper
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding how the Lansweeper works with dynamic IP.

In my network I have both dynamic IPs as fixed IPs.

I realized that when the computer that is dynamic ip change to another IP the Lansweeper create a new record and keep the old one.

I believe that the right would be to identify the change in IP and only change the IP and not create a new record.

I do not know if this can be the wrong setting also.

Could anyone help me?

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
As mentioned in this KB article, Lansweeper only uses the IP as unique identifier if no MAC address was scanned. If possible we recommend that you try scanning your device through SNMP. This allows to scan the MAC address and get around this problem in case of IP address changes. You might need to activate SNMP on the device itself before scanning it. Details on how to scan network devices can be found in this KB article.

Edit: It seems from your screenshot that in your case the same Windows computer was scanned both as Windows asset and as unknown network device. This happens if computers were scanned on WiFi or VPN connections and port 135/TCP was closed. In order to resolve this, either open port 135 on WiFi/VPN or reconfigure your scanning schedules under Configuration\Scanning methods, section IP Address range scanning, and let these scans only be performed during the night when no WiFi or VPN connections are in use. If you need to scan Windows computers but you can't open 135/TCP or Windows remote administration can't be enabled between your Lansweeper server and scanned machines, you need to scan them with LsPush.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
At the time of this asset's First seen date, port 135 must have been closed or Windows remote administration was not enabled between your Lansweeper server and the affected computer. You can test it with testconnection.exe. Run a test from your Lansweeper server to the affected IP address of the target computer (which was detected as unknown device type). If the WMI test fails, you need to ensure that all required ports are open. Details can be found in this KB article.
gustavo_decenci
Engaged Sweeper
Hi Daniel.B, thank´s for the answer.

This problem occurs only with Windows machines and are in range with dynamic IP and this range is not used by WIFI.

I have other IP ranges that are fixed. These range the Lansweeper recognizes when the PC is in WIFI and just change the IP but the record remains the same. Only this dynamic range it creates a new record when you're on another IP.

Port 135 / TCP is open on the firewall properly.
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
As mentioned in this KB article, Lansweeper only uses the IP as unique identifier if no MAC address was scanned. If possible we recommend that you try scanning your device through SNMP. This allows to scan the MAC address and get around this problem in case of IP address changes. You might need to activate SNMP on the device itself before scanning it. Details on how to scan network devices can be found in this KB article.

Edit: It seems from your screenshot that in your case the same Windows computer was scanned both as Windows asset and as unknown network device. This happens if computers were scanned on WiFi or VPN connections and port 135/TCP was closed. In order to resolve this, either open port 135 on WiFi/VPN or reconfigure your scanning schedules under Configuration\Scanning methods, section IP Address range scanning, and let these scans only be performed during the night when no WiFi or VPN connections are in use. If you need to scan Windows computers but you can't open 135/TCP or Windows remote administration can't be enabled between your Lansweeper server and scanned machines, you need to scan them with LsPush.