cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mickeyshowers
Engaged Sweeper III
What could be some reasons that an MSI uninstaller would fail? It says there is a version isn't present on the endpoint but I have verified that the uninstaller and the client versions match.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bert_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
If you have the GUID you can try the following command (use a command step in lansweeper)

Msiexec.exe /x PASTE_GUID_HERE /QN reboot=reallysuppress

Example:
Msiexec.exe /x {8438EC02-B8A9-462D-AC72-1B521349C001} /QN reboot=reallysuppress

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
mickeyshowers
Engaged Sweeper III
That worked! Thanks!
Bert_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
If you have the GUID you can try the following command (use a command step in lansweeper)

Msiexec.exe /x PASTE_GUID_HERE /QN reboot=reallysuppress

Example:
Msiexec.exe /x {8438EC02-B8A9-462D-AC72-1B521349C001} /QN reboot=reallysuppress
mickeyshowers
Engaged Sweeper III
I made a little progress with a remote psexec but now a shadow box pops up on the endpoint as if the program is asking a question but I can't see it.
mickeyshowers
Engaged Sweeper III
I found the key. Can I build an uninstaller based on the GUID of the software?
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
If it is a 32-bit application on a 64-bit machine, the information will be stored under key SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ which is being scanned by Lansweeper as well. You might check if the application is listed there.
mickeyshowers
Engaged Sweeper III
I don't find the software under that key at all...does that mean that it wasn't installed as an MSI?
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
During scanning and during execution of an MSIUninstall step, Lansweeper searches through the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ on the target machine. If your deployment package returned the message that softwarename or version was not found, likely the specified version was not found under this key. Be sure to use the exact right version number or use the percent symbol as wildcard.
mickeyshowers
Engaged Sweeper III
I have confirmed that is is an MSI and the version number is identical.

Are there any logs that I can look at to see what it is seeing?

BTW, Thank you!
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
Software installed through MSI has a GUID. You can recognize MSI packages on the asset page of your client computers under tab Software by the installer icon. If you hover over an MSI package icon, it will show "Windows (MSI) Installer". If the asset wasn't recently scanned, rescan it first. Afterwards look at the software tab and note down the exact software name and version number. In the MSIUninstall step of your deployment package select the same version to be uninstalled.

If you plan to uninstall a software which was not installed through MSI, you need to use the installer executable with the parameters required for unattended uninstall. The location of the (Un)installer executable and the parameters differ from package to package.