cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
t0ta11ed
Engaged Sweeper
I'm trying to get the following executable to run remotely using an action; http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/browsing_history_view.html

It'll get the history of IE 10 and 11, unlike the other Nirsoft utility iehv that has been widely used. Neither program will get IE 10/11 history if run by itself against a computer remotely, but BrowsingHistoryView WILL get IE 10/11 history if run locally using the GUI or command line.

BrowsingHistoryView has command line switches, including a parameter to write the history to a remote share. My goal is to run this .EXE remotely from the command line, and generate the history to a server share using an action.

Here's the problem: If I run this from the command line locally, it works great. But I've had some real trouble getting this to work using psexec or any other way. No matter what I do, I can't get it to run properly at the command line. An example command would be like this;

psexec.exe \\computername cmd /c C:\Path\BrowsingHistoryView.exe /HistorySource 4 /HistorySourceFolder "C:\Users\someuser" /shtml "\\server\sharepath\userhistory.html"

From what I can tell, this does launch but never actually does anything else. If I run it interactively, it seems to try launching the GUI version of the executable but then hangs. I've tried many, many variations of this as well as running a local Powershell script, etc. with no luck. I'm hoping some more experienced Lansweeper users might be able to help.
8 REPLIES 8
AMSICT
Engaged Sweeper
We have had some success with BrowsingHistoryView.exe from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/browsing_history_view.html - however some machines you get no results from whatsoever, which I guess is due to the history file being locked.

Download BrowsingHistoryView.exe and save to {ActionPath] (...\Lansweeper\Actions\)

Configuration | Asset Pages

Add action Asset Action :

{actionpath}browsinghistoryview.exe /HistorySource 5 /HistorySourceFolder "\\{computer}\c$\Users\{username}\Local Settings\History" /CustomFolderAppData "\\{computer}\c$\Users\{username}\AppData" /CustomFolderIEHistory "\\{computer}\c$\Users\{username}\Local Settings\History" /CustomFolderLocalAppData "\\{computer}\c$\Users\{username}\AppData\Local"

Hope that helps or is of use.
abrassard
Engaged Sweeper
I don't know if this is any help but I used the following to remotely execute browser history search without remotely installing the EXE. I also chopped out the report part but that can easily be added in.

{actionpath}\browsinghistoryview.exe /historysource 4 /historysourcefolder "\\{smartname}\c$:\users\{username}"

This tells lansweeper to use the EXE in the actionpath to execute against the remote machine and last user.
crashff
Champion Sweeper
I know this is a couple months old now, but did you ever figure it out? You can feed an admin username and password to psexec which directly affects the program being run with it.
JJ_pomp
Engaged Sweeper
Can you give some more detail on how you got this to work?
I'm not having much luck..

I'd like to run this utility on several workstations to recover Outlook Passwords: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mailpv.html

I found an older version that allows command line switches and I've been able to get it to work manually by copying the mailpv.exe to the c:\ drive and then copying a batch file into the "Startup" folder but this required a lot of work and only works when the users logs in.

t0ta11ed
Engaged Sweeper
Daniel, thanks for the info, but I'm not trying to install anything. I'm just running the executable remotely via the command line.

Since my post, I've managed to get the command working with psexec, but now I'm trying to get the action to run with runas or something so it'll run as an admin instead of the Lansweeper user. Here's the working psexec command;

psexec -s \\computername cmd /c C:\path\browsinghistoryview.exe /historysource 4 /historysourcefolder "c
:\users\username" /sverhtml "\\servername\browserhistory\username.html"

When running the above against a remote machine as a domain admin, it works great and gets ALL broswer history, including IE 10/11. The key seemed to be using the -s switch. The downside is the .exe has to be on the remote machine, but this isn't that big a deal for me since we already include some things in our standard images.

Now, I'm trying to get this to run as an Action, and prompt for domain creds, which I don't have working yet.
LJayP
Engaged Sweeper III
t0ta11ed wrote:
Daniel, thanks for the info, but I'm not trying to install anything. I'm just running the executable remotely via the command line.

Since my post, I've managed to get the command working with psexec, but now I'm trying to get the action to run with runas or something so it'll run as an admin instead of the Lansweeper user. Here's the working psexec command;

psexec -s \\computername cmd /c C:\path\browsinghistoryview.exe /historysource 4 /historysourcefolder "c
:\users\username" /sverhtml "\\servername\browserhistory\username.html"

When running the above against a remote machine as a domain admin, it works great and gets ALL broswer history, including IE 10/11. The key seemed to be using the -s switch. The downside is the .exe has to be on the remote machine, but this isn't that big a deal for me since we already include some things in our standard images.

Now, I'm trying to get this to run as an Action, and prompt for domain creds, which I don't have working yet.

Thank you this is what I was after also, will have to push out the exe with sccm but this should work. Thanks

Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
If you would like to execute a program locally on computers in your network, we recommend using the deployment feature. This is much more powerful and provides better control than using asset actions.

• Configure a package share under Deployment\Security options
  • Store the program to be executed on your package share
  • Create a deployment package which executes the program
  • Deploy it, either to a group of assets, to a report result or to a manual selection of assets.

For details on how to use the deployment feature, have a look at the KB articles you can find here.
LJayP
Engaged Sweeper III
Id also be interested in this working, Like you I tried the older version to find it doesn't work with any I.E above 9 I think. This tool would be great to check up on students who are accessing the wrong websites.