cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kat
Engaged Sweeper II
I just migrated my Lansweeper database from SQL Compact to SQL Server Express 2008. I thought that this would give me a limit of 10 GB as it says here: http://www.lansweeper.com/kb/73/moving-your-database-from-sql-compact-to-sql-server.html. However, according to the widget on my main page, it still says I am using 3377 MB out of 4096 MB. I followed the instructions precisely. Is the widget inacccurate or did I miss something? I am seeing a definite improvement in performance. See attached photo.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
stiwa
Champion Sweeper
You need at least the R2 version of 2008 for the 10GB limit.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
The installer mentions the SQL Express version (2005 or 2008, depending on your operating system) that will be installed if you tick "no SQL Server available". A bigger database size limit is not the only possible reason for moving to SQL Server, which is why the knowledge base does not instruct you to install 2008 R2, 2012 or 2014 Express. You need to evaluate which version you actually need.
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
The article clearly states that older versions of SQL server Express support only up to 4GB of database size. The installer downloads the old version only if there is no SQL server available already.
kat
Engaged Sweeper II
Yes it does state that in the article however, it leads you to believe that SQL Express will be installed with Lansweeper if you check the box for "No SQL Server available". Is it installing an old version? If that is the case and you need to manually download a newer version of SQL Express, then that needs to be clearly stated in the instructions.
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
As mentioned in the article as well, old SQL Server Express versions (2000, 2005, 2008) are, like SQL Compact, limited to 4GB. More recent SQL Express versions (2008 R2, 2012, 2014) are limited to 10GB.
stiwa
Champion Sweeper
You need at least the R2 version of 2008 for the 10GB limit.