cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm doing a domain migration, both users and computers. All fine with the users, since the information will get refreshed according to the options I've set on Lansweeper. But the computers are becoming duplicate on both domains.
I think I could easily solve this by enabling the option "Detect when a computer has been renamed", but having that option on, in the past deleted many assets like printers and manually inserted ones - the thing is I don't really trust that this won't happen again if I turn the option on.

Is there any simple idea on how to avoid the computers from duplicating? (for instance a computer that is in "a" domain, when it goes to "b" domain, I have both assets on "a" and "b" domain, but the manual inserted data of the asset is the one from the "a" domain.

The workaround is to delete the computer on the "b" domain, then edit the one from the "a" domain, and then change it to "b" domain just after the migration. But doing this for all the assets is not so simple.

Thank you very much.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Rename detection does work for both computer name and domain changes. As explained by Daniel as well, you do need to ensure that the computers are successfully scanned in the new domain, as rename detection will compare the MAC, model and serial of the computer in domain A and the MAC, model and serial of the computer in domain B. If the computer is not successfully scanned in domain B or the MAC, model or serial is different than before, Lansweeper can't know that the computer is already in the database and will generate a new asset page, instead of changing the domain name on the original page.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Rename detection does work for both computer name and domain changes. As explained by Daniel as well, you do need to ensure that the computers are successfully scanned in the new domain, as rename detection will compare the MAC, model and serial of the computer in domain A and the MAC, model and serial of the computer in domain B. If the computer is not successfully scanned in domain B or the MAC, model or serial is different than before, Lansweeper can't know that the computer is already in the database and will generate a new asset page, instead of changing the domain name on the original page.
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
If the Firstseen date of your computers is new, they have been rescanned as new computers. You might search for example computernames in the search bar of the web console and check if you have duplicate entries.

Otherwise you might have credentials issues as well which prevent the computers to be successfully scanned after the domain change.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Today I found that with the option "Detect when a computer has been renamed" active, we lose all the inventory data of the computers, they appear all clean in the new domain which is a big problem.

So a domain change is a major headache for us in all aspects... I will turn this option off, as it does not work for a domain change.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the idea, unfortunately we have many users and they are not migrated at once, but I'll explore your idea a bit more.
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
You could export the whole content of tblAssetRelations and tblAssetUserRelations, clear these tables and insert the exported values after modifying the Userdomain. The following reports list the whole content of these tables:

Select * From tblAssetRelations

Select Top 1000000 tblAssetUserRelations.Userdomain,
tblAssetUserRelations.Username,
tblAssetUserRelations.AssetID As [Asset ID (AssetID)],
tblAssetUserRelations.Type,
tblAssetUserRelations.Comments,
tblAssetUserRelations.Lastchanged,
tblAssetUserRelations.StartDate
From tblAssetUserRelations
Anonymous
Not applicable
So for domain migrations we lose the ownership of the assets. There's no report to keep them also... this is not very good for us. But I understand regarding the custom scripts. It's not so easy also because of the imposed structure on the database.
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
We do not currently provide support for writing custom database scripts unfortunately. You'll need to build a script based on the tblADusers and tblAssetUserRelations database tables.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Could you please advise such script? Thank you very much.
Michael_V
Champion Sweeper III
You could update tbladusers and tblassetuserrelations with a sql script before migrating the user (change the userdomain)