cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sullivane
Champion Sweeper III
Has anyone made a good match on label paper vs QR code size (5x3, 7x3) kind of thing? What about an actual label printer, has anyone perfected a method for this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
crashff
Champion Sweeper
For oddball labels like the QR Code, I use a company called OnlineLabels. You can get almost any size/shape label made from any material they carry. I tend to use the weatherproof polyester labels for asset tagging, since they hold up to abuse and exposure a lot better (OL1502LP). As for a label printer, I've never had much luck with them because the drivers for them are often finicky and poorly written. Zebra printers, for example, have effectively neutered drivers for the hardware straight from the manufacturer. Seagull Technologies has written an entire library of drivers for Zebra hardware that actually corresponds to the hardware's capabilities, and are often required in place of the Zebra drivers for some software to even use the printers.

The QR codes can generate in a HUGE range of pixel sizes in lansweeper, but remember that pixel size only determines clarity when printing. The more pixels, the sharper the image at any given print size. Since QR codes are simply b/w squares in a 2d error check pattern, the image resolution doesn't have to be very high for an effective read.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
sullivane
Champion Sweeper III
Word templates from onlinelabels. For the PDF, you just have to find the size that works for the PDF page. I buy OL330LP and use the 5x4 Document type in Lansweeper
jhartley
Engaged Sweeper II
Word templates from onlinelabels or lansweeper? Doesn't lanweeper dump the QR Codes into a PDF?

John
sullivane
Champion Sweeper III
The company has Word templates you can download. Worked fine for me.
jhartley
Engaged Sweeper II
I bought the OL1502LP and I cannot seem to get the margins to work. By chance do you have any ideas?

Thank you

John
sullivane
Champion Sweeper III
Thanks
crashff
Champion Sweeper
The only time I have an issue with the polyester labels is folding. The polyester labels actually have a much smoother surface than standard fiber-based papers, so any folding or crinkling of the polyester causes the toner to actually chip off. I've never had any problems with fade or rubbing though. The labels really arent that thick. The tech specs for it puts it at 5.5 mils thickness (.0055") which is about the same thickness as 30lb bond paper or 58lb Index card. I ran this stuff through an old HP Laserjet 4200 with no problems.
sullivane
Champion Sweeper III
You are a life saver!

Found one that matches perfectly to what we want to do. With the weatherproof ones you don't have any rub off or fading? Are they really thick, how to printers handle it?

Thanks a ton!
crashff
Champion Sweeper
For oddball labels like the QR Code, I use a company called OnlineLabels. You can get almost any size/shape label made from any material they carry. I tend to use the weatherproof polyester labels for asset tagging, since they hold up to abuse and exposure a lot better (OL1502LP). As for a label printer, I've never had much luck with them because the drivers for them are often finicky and poorly written. Zebra printers, for example, have effectively neutered drivers for the hardware straight from the manufacturer. Seagull Technologies has written an entire library of drivers for Zebra hardware that actually corresponds to the hardware's capabilities, and are often required in place of the Zebra drivers for some software to even use the printers.

The QR codes can generate in a HUGE range of pixel sizes in lansweeper, but remember that pixel size only determines clarity when printing. The more pixels, the sharper the image at any given print size. Since QR codes are simply b/w squares in a 2d error check pattern, the image resolution doesn't have to be very high for an effective read.