cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MakeBug
Champion Sweeper
Salutations,

We are using Lansweeper now for arround 3 months here.
Currently we only use it for inventory, but we are planning to add some basic software packages for deployment in the next 3-4 weeks.
I'm currently checking the scanning results and besides some devices that won't report (probably something with the firewall settings, not a big deal), I also found multiple devices that are existing in AD but still they just refuse to show up in Lansweeper no matter how many times I scan the AD.
These assetts are spread all over the world through 3 Domains and different OUs but there are always other devices in the same OU/Domain, even in the same office and IP-range but some show up, some don't.

If I add them manually, the scan will work just fine, but we have over 1000 assets worldwide and I really don't have the time to add these (maybe 100+/-) missing devices all manually.

I'm currently using Lansweeper 5.2.0.31 but the issue exists since we installed it.

Any ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
There is a big difference between Active Scanning and Scheduled Domain Scanning.

Active Scanning only scans computers which recently have logged on to your domain controllers. It does not search for computer accounts in your Active Directory.

Scheduled computer scanning is able to scan a OU in Active Directory and will create asset pages for all computer accounts it finds. If you would like to do that, we recommend adding the ADSI path of your AD OU under Scheduled computer scanning. You can find details on how to do this here.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Scheduled Computer Scanning accepts standard ADSI paths, e.g.:
ou=clients,ou=computers,ou=xyz-th,dc=abc,dc=company,dc=org

You can use dsquery to retrieve the path. See this article.
MakeBug
Champion Sweeper
I don't quite understand how this works.

Let's assume:
1. I have the domain controller "abc-dcx"
2. The domain is called "abc.company.org"
3. The clients are located under "XYZ-TH" => "Computers" => "Clients"

What do I now need to enter as target?
MakeBug
Champion Sweeper
Okay, well that might be the issue. We have various home-office users that might or might not logon about every half a year.

Thanks, I will give that a try.
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
There is a big difference between Active Scanning and Scheduled Domain Scanning.

Active Scanning only scans computers which recently have logged on to your domain controllers. It does not search for computer accounts in your Active Directory.

Scheduled computer scanning is able to scan a OU in Active Directory and will create asset pages for all computer accounts it finds. If you would like to do that, we recommend adding the ADSI path of your AD OU under Scheduled computer scanning. You can find details on how to do this here.
MakeBug
Champion Sweeper
But shouldn't these devices still have at least an asset page that says "not scanned"?
We have some devices with the issue you described but those I mean don't even get an entry into lansweeper.
It acts like they don't exists until I add them manually, then lansweeper finds and scans them as normal.
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
If you only enabled Active scanning and didn't configure anything under Scheduled Computer Scanning, it is possible that computer were not scanned because they didn't log on to your domain controller(s) in the past. Active Scanning will try to contact any computers which logged on within the last 1-2 weeks. If they are online and have a valid DNS entry, Lansweeper will scan them (assuming that other requirements are met, i.e. that port 135/TCP is open between the client computers and your Lansweeper scanning server).
MakeBug
Champion Sweeper
We use active scanning with a check interval of 15 minutes and min/max time between scanning is 20h/2d.
We have configured one user per domain for scanning, and they all have administrator privileges for the specific domain.

We also didn't set up any cleanup options besides that no more existing assets will be removed and deactivated ones should get moved to "non-active". But the group "non-active" is empty and the devices are still in use.

Btw. this made me noticing something else. We have some deactivated devices in AD. According to our settings, those should be moved to "non-active" but as told before...that group is empty, not a single asset there. Not a big deal since we normally completely remove devices we don't use anymore, but it's still strange.
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
Did you use Scheduled computer scanning or Active Scanning in order to scan your network based on Active Directory?

Active Scanning will only scan computers after they have logged on to domain controllers which are in the specified domains. Port 389/TCP needs to be open between your Lansweeper server and the domain controller(s). Your scanning credentials need to have read access on your Active Directory.

The same applies for Scheduled Computer scanning. However, this should create asset pages for all computers having an account in the specified OU's.

You might also check if your computers have been scanned but marked as non-active by asset cleanup options (configured under Configuration\Server options, section Asset Cleanup options). Open the Assets menu and check if there are assets under state "Non-active".