cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrishps
Engaged Sweeper II
I just started using lansweeper at my company. I've read some documentation but still have some questions if anyone can help me.

1.) Automated CMBD -> Where can I find out more about this? I searched the documentation for "CMDB" and it found 0 hits. I'd like to know how to enable it and what the consequences of that are. How does it know what is connected/talking to what? Is there an additional FW port that needs to be allowed out/in?

2.) What can LS do in the following areas: service/help desk; change management/change control.

Right now we are using one system for help desk, one system for asset inventory (LS), one system for change control, and nothing for CMDB. I'm just trying to cut down some of the clutter if possible.

thanks,
Chris
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sukaitsu
Champion Sweeper
Hi Chris,

Lansweeper as a CMDB is mostly going to be a manual process unfortunately. If you edit an asset you can set up "Asset Relationships". From there you can set up a relationship with another asset or user (AD User Scanning Required). There will be options like "Used By" or "Inside". If you find the supplied relationship types do not cover your needs; new ones can be created in the Lansweer Configuration.

Thank you,

Jeffrey
Thank you, Jeffrey Smith Enterprise Applications Security (319) 499-6310 JefSmith@geico.com

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RJAH
Engaged Sweeper II
I created a SQL script awhile back that would create an Asset Relationship for any VoIP phone that had a computer connected to it, to share a connection to the switch

Jeffrey, Such a script would be extremely useful in our environment... if you'd be willing to share?
Thanks in advance,
Mike.
sukaitsu
Champion Sweeper
So Lansweeper doesn't do network mapping (Automatic Diagrams that show relations). You can though add an asset to a "Location". From there you can upload a image and add multiple assets to the "Location". They can be dragged and dropped wherever you'd like them to sit on the image.

As far as the automatic relational types.. Network devices like a switch will tell you what assets are connected to each slot and port. This information will also show on the asset page of the child asset connected to the Switch. Last user log on and User log on history will also be stored, but I don't know if I really count that. I created a SQL script awhile back that would create an Asset Relationship for any VoIP phone that had a computer connected to it, to share a connection to the switch.

Thank you,

Jeffrey
Thank you, Jeffrey Smith Enterprise Applications Security (319) 499-6310 JefSmith@geico.com
chrishps
Engaged Sweeper II
Ok thanks. I thought I read online it was possible to set up automatic relational types. Anyway, I set up a few records to be relational assets. Is there any way to view them in a diagram or some type of picture?
sukaitsu
Champion Sweeper
Hi Chris,

Lansweeper as a CMDB is mostly going to be a manual process unfortunately. If you edit an asset you can set up "Asset Relationships". From there you can set up a relationship with another asset or user (AD User Scanning Required). There will be options like "Used By" or "Inside". If you find the supplied relationship types do not cover your needs; new ones can be created in the Lansweer Configuration.

Thank you,

Jeffrey

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now