cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brigmill
Engaged Sweeper III
Greetings. I love the fact that users can send to our helpdesk email address and it auto-creates a ticket. However, if they reply to the email they receive regarding the ticket they opened, it opens a new ticket. These replies generally ask for a status of the ticket and sometimes they add information to the ticket. What's the best way to keep replies to the ticket-creation email account from creating a ticket?

I attached an example. Ticket 683 is just a response email that says Test.

Edit: I found that you can select "Reject email" in the email tickets API section, and that will effectively not create new tickets for any emails that contain the same prefix/ticket ID
But, also in the email API configuration help page (http://www.lansweeper.com/kb/180/receiving-tickets-through-the-web-console-email-api-and-import.html), step 2 says you in the E-mail settings section of the page. This prefix, along with a ticket ID, will be added to the subject of outgoing emails. This way, Lansweeper can identify any subsequent user responses as belonging to an existing help desk ticket and add them to the existing conversation. Does that mean if an email comes through with the same ticket ID, the email will be rejected or added to the ticket conversation?

I take it back about the Reject email thing...nothing is working right. Ideally, when users respond, to the intial email they get when they submit a request through email, it would go into the current ticket as opposed to creating a new ticket. I'm having an issue getting this working.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
Ordinarily, email replies to outgoing email templates should be added to the correct ticket, as email templates are sent out containing the ticket number and ticket number prefix. As long as the email sender does not alter the subject this should not cause any issues.

We have encountered some issues though where when there were extra spaces or special characters present in the email prefix field in Configuration\E-mail Settings that this could cause email replies to generate new tickets rather than getting added to existing tickets. These issues were resolved in our latest release which is currently in beta. These fixes will be part of our next public release.

Do note that after stripping spaces or special characters from your email prefix field, that replies to old mails in circulation will still create new tickets.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
Ordinarily, email replies to outgoing email templates should be added to the correct ticket, as email templates are sent out containing the ticket number and ticket number prefix. As long as the email sender does not alter the subject this should not cause any issues.

We have encountered some issues though where when there were extra spaces or special characters present in the email prefix field in Configuration\E-mail Settings that this could cause email replies to generate new tickets rather than getting added to existing tickets. These issues were resolved in our latest release which is currently in beta. These fixes will be part of our next public release.

Do note that after stripping spaces or special characters from your email prefix field, that replies to old mails in circulation will still create new tickets.
jkot
Engaged Sweeper III
We see this same issue, especially when there are CC users. A new ticket is created with each users. I wish it would link everything with the [[TIC #28203]] string pattern in the subject to the corresponding ticket... but it doesn't.