cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sukaitsu
Champion Sweeper
This is about an issue I have brought up in the past and there hasn't been any update. Most larger companies who use VMware, control the host through VMware Vcenter. Access directly to the host is restricted and in most cases blocked by putting the host in Lockdown Mode. VMware also recommends disabling the MOB service on ESXi host as it poses a risk to potential attacks. Please have someone look into using the vCenter API to gather the information, because we have been waiting over a year for an update.

Thank you,

Jeffrey Smith

P.S. Please do not respond with "This is on our customer wishlist, but we are currently working on ___ instead". Lansweeper is advertised as a scanning tool for VMware ESXi host, so it should work, not use methods that are blocked or not supported in most Enterprise environments.
Thank you, Jeffrey Smith Enterprise Applications Security (319) 499-6310 JefSmith@geico.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Scanning VMware via vCenter has been included in Lansweeper 7!

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
KyleCascade
Engaged Sweeper II
1+ Having the same issues, Lansweeper can't even properly scan esxi 6.0 or higher. Worked fine on 5.5. Doesn't look great that 2 years later they still haven't resolved a core functionality issue.

KyleCascade wrote:
1+ Having the same issues, Lansweeper can't even properly scan esxi 6.0 or higher. Worked fine on 5.5. Doesn't look great that 2 years later they still haven't resolved a core functionality issue.

There are currently no known issues with scanning esxi hosts, versions 6.0 or 6.5. We have esxi 6.0+ servers in-house which we can scan without issue.

• Make sure your Lansweeper installation is up to date, we did fix some scanning esxi scanning issues during the course of 2017. The current production version of Lansweeper is version 6.0.100.98, update instructions can be found here.
  • Make sure your esxi hosts meet the VMware scanning requirements which can be found here.
  • Instructions on how to scan a VMware server can be found here.
stiwa
Champion Sweeper
+1
Argon0
Champion Sweeper
And yes, I was right, I have been denied in my initial request....,

Support have informed me it IS on the roadmap/wishlist but still no ETA...
tgt
Engaged Sweeper III
+1
Argon0
Champion Sweeper
Wondering why this thread has completely died.

Scanning via vCenter is an essential certainly now that MOB is turned off by default in VmWare 6 +!

I am about to ask my infrastructure team to turn on MOB so I can get a view of our VMWare estate, but expect to be denied, due to security concerns.

Argon0
benhelleman
Engaged Sweeper II
+1
DaveinJP
Engaged Sweeper III
Trying to revive this apparently dead topic. If you're marketing that it inventories VMWARE, you either need to caveat that it will only do it in a limited fashion (esxi server directly only) or make auditing through Vcenter a reality.
Kgoucher
Engaged Sweeper II
+1
toddcbrown
Engaged Sweeper
This is essential to getting into enterprise data centers.