cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rseiler
Engaged Sweeper III
I've just started with the modern version of Lansweeper (6022), a clean install, and after a few days I've noticed that the above widget is claiming the impossible. On a Sunday morning, with all my PCs off or asleep on my Windows network, it's reporting "last seen" times today for most (but not all) of them.

The times are staggered throughout the morning and seem to be continuing (the latest is minutes ago).

When you hover over each of them in the widget, you see that the Last TRIED time (which is in red) is a couple minutes after Last SEEN, so it seems that in trying to poll a given PC it's mistaking that failure for actually seeing a machine online.

Bug?
4 REPLIES 4
rseiler
Engaged Sweeper III
OK, after living with this for a lot longer, let me put it a different way.

The widget is called "Last Seen Assets." This, to me, strongly implies that the date visible directly in the widget should always reflect when it was last seen.

It does not always reflect that.

When a PC can actually be seen, like in the case when it's on, it does.

But, otherwise, perhaps when the PC is off or even gone, the date reflects *Last TRIED* instead, and that's not good, since the at-a-glance nature of the widget is ruined. Just glancing at it, you have no idea what's real and what isn't. This problem can be verified by hovering over an off/absent machine name and noting the date and time in red there--labeled Last Tried--is an exact match for what's showing directly in the widget. The widget that's called Last Seen Assets.
rseiler
Engaged Sweeper III
rseiler wrote:
But, otherwise, perhaps when the PC is off or even gone, the date reflects *Last TRIED* instead, and that's not good, since the at-a-glance nature of the widget is ruined. Just glancing at it, you have no idea what's real and what isn't. This problem can be verified by hovering over an off/absent machine name and noting the date and time in red there--labeled Last Tried--is an exact match for what's showing directly in the widget. The widget that's called Last Seen Assets.

This is still a thing in the current version. Not sure how that can be. The widget isn't living up to its name.

rseiler
Engaged Sweeper III
Huh, so that makes "Last Seen" completely meaningless.

Why wouldn't it conduct something like a simple ping test before making the determination that something is "seen"? If it did, it would come up empty.
crashff
Champion Sweeper
not a bug.
Lansweeper is seeing the MAC address on the network - which is the last seen date.

Even if your computer is turned off, the lan card still has power to it if the bios supports wake on lan.

the last time it tried to scan for wmi details is the last scan date.