cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chris_sarris
Engaged Sweeper II
Hello,
I have searched the manual 5.1 and the current documentation for ver 6 but cannot find a description of Scan Targets: "Active Directory Domain" & "Active Directory User Path"

These are different that scanning IP Ranges.
I am guessing that they do the "Active Scan" but looking at the Domain Controllers and scanning the most recent logons.

However, is this true?
Is LS scanning a computer?
sometimes the documentation seems to indicate that LS is scanning a "User"?
How can you scan a user rather than a computer (which has a user logged in)?

How are "Active Directory Domain" & "Active Directory User Path" - different?

thanks in advance.
Chris
2 REPLIES 2
chris_sarris
Engaged Sweeper II
Ok great. Now I understand that "Active Directory User Path" merely scans the user's properties or attributes in Active Directory and records those values.

tks!
Juha_Otava
Engaged Sweeper III
You might need several scanning methods. Maybe you have different types of equipment, some connected to AD and some not. Active Scanning is for AD connected computers. Users are not computers, so if you wan't to know more detailed information about them add AD Users path(s) to scanning methods.

In practice I use 1) AD Domain scanning (restricted by OU filters to scan workstations and servers OU:s), 2) AD Users scanning for several OU:s and 3) IP scanning for the rest (non-Windows).

Lansweeper scans individual computers and tracks AD users and logons (if configured to do so). In the asset dashboard you'll find User info showing users who have logged to asset. From the user dashboard you'll see all computers a particular user has logged in.

About Active Scanning