cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaycii
Engaged Sweeper
Hello,

I'm fairly new to lansweeper currently running into some issues. I'm trying to prep lansweeper and customize lansweeper assets so when I sync it to out helpdesk everything will match up. The issue I'm running into is when I tried to change the Asset type from "windows" to something else lansweeper stated the type could not be changed. I then thought maybe I can set a custom field and just use that field to sync to.

When I went to the Asset custom fields section under Asset Pages I saw it asked for "Values"

My question is how would I go about configuring a field where lansweeper automatically puts in the data requested.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
We received and answered this question via email last week. For everyone else's benefit, I'm pasting the reply we sent via email below.
It is not entirely clear to us what you are trying to do or what you mean by "when I sync it to out helpdesk everything will match up". We're not sure whether you're referring to an external help desk of some kind. No additional setup is required to "link" scanned assets with Lansweeper's own help desk feature, if this is what you're trying to do.

It is indeed not possible to change a Windows computer's asset type to something else, as changing the asset type could cause unexpected scanning behaviors. We assume the assets whose type you are trying to change are in fact Windows computers and not assets that were incorrectly identified as Windows. If an asset was incorrectly identified as Windows, this is most likely due to port 135 being open. We use this port to determine whether or not an asset is Windows or non-Windows.

We're not sure what you would like to configure as your Windows computers' asset type, but you could use a custom field to submit additional data, as you indicated as well. Custom fields can be configured under Configuration\Asset Pages. The Values column is only relevant for fields with a fixed list of values, e.g. radio button fields. Keep in mind that custom fields must be manually filled in for your specific assets though. It is not currently possible to auto-populate them. One way to fill in a custom field is to hit the Edit Asset button on an individual asset's Lansweeper webpage. You can also click the Assets link at the top of the web console and use the Mass Edit Assets buttons on the left to easily fill in fields for multiple assets at once.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
We received and answered this question via email last week. For everyone else's benefit, I'm pasting the reply we sent via email below.
It is not entirely clear to us what you are trying to do or what you mean by "when I sync it to out helpdesk everything will match up". We're not sure whether you're referring to an external help desk of some kind. No additional setup is required to "link" scanned assets with Lansweeper's own help desk feature, if this is what you're trying to do.

It is indeed not possible to change a Windows computer's asset type to something else, as changing the asset type could cause unexpected scanning behaviors. We assume the assets whose type you are trying to change are in fact Windows computers and not assets that were incorrectly identified as Windows. If an asset was incorrectly identified as Windows, this is most likely due to port 135 being open. We use this port to determine whether or not an asset is Windows or non-Windows.

We're not sure what you would like to configure as your Windows computers' asset type, but you could use a custom field to submit additional data, as you indicated as well. Custom fields can be configured under Configuration\Asset Pages. The Values column is only relevant for fields with a fixed list of values, e.g. radio button fields. Keep in mind that custom fields must be manually filled in for your specific assets though. It is not currently possible to auto-populate them. One way to fill in a custom field is to hit the Edit Asset button on an individual asset's Lansweeper webpage. You can also click the Assets link at the top of the web console and use the Mass Edit Assets buttons on the left to easily fill in fields for multiple assets at once.