cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matthewd
Engaged Sweeper II
Hello,

I've been messing around with Lansweeper's deployment capabilities lately, but can't seem to fine tune it enough to do what I want. I'm trying to deploy the outlook plugin Barracuda, version 3.6. I can get it to work on test machines in my area, but as soon as I try to deploy further out I get a timeout message.

I've ran the Connectiontester and am getting green lit on everything. I'm able to ping the pc, I know it's on, etc. http://i.imgur.com/aemBLLl.png?1

Yet when I go check the log, it'll be timed out. And I have it set to try for 15 minutes, so it's not an issue of install time. The test machines take <10 minutes to install.

I was getting the RPC unavailable message for a while, but that was resolved by opening port 135 on Symantec Endpoint.

Any help is appreciated. And if you need more info, let me know.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
The message "Package timeout reached" indicates that your package did not finish within the time you defined as maximum duration. This happens

• because user interaction was required during the package execution (i.e. confirm a dialog, close open applications, etc)
  • because there was no Stop(Success) and no Stop(Failure) as next action in the last step
  • because the execution of all steps took longer than the maximum duration time
  • because the computer froze or started rebooting before giving back a result for the last step.

You seem to have found the cause if the issue. In general it is a good idea to manually test the installer or command steps you are using in your package in a command prompt on an affected target computer. That helps you fixing the issue.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
The message "Package timeout reached" indicates that your package did not finish within the time you defined as maximum duration. This happens

• because user interaction was required during the package execution (i.e. confirm a dialog, close open applications, etc)
  • because there was no Stop(Success) and no Stop(Failure) as next action in the last step
  • because the execution of all steps took longer than the maximum duration time
  • because the computer froze or started rebooting before giving back a result for the last step.

You seem to have found the cause if the issue. In general it is a good idea to manually test the installer or command steps you are using in your package in a command prompt on an affected target computer. That helps you fixing the issue.
matthewd
Engaged Sweeper II
Ah, I just realized something. Barracuda is an Outlook plugin. So if the end user has Outlook open it won't be able to fully install and thus time-out.

Took me long enough. That was a great "ah-ha" moment nonetheless.

Now to figure out how to create a deployment package that closes Outlook, and to figure out when that'd be a good idea to enact..
matthewd
Engaged Sweeper II
Good thinking. But, I just ran the ConnectionTester from the server that's housing the Lansweeper service and everything came up green. Yet, deployments are still timing out.

Is there any other way I should be checking port availability?
PeterJG
Champion Sweeper II
usually timeouts are caused by the LSDeployment.exe not sending signal back to the server. Check to make sure nothing is blocking your server on the right port.