cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scatt
Engaged Sweeper
Hello,

I have following Problem: I have duplicate Linux assets but only form remote Locations without a Lansweerserver on the Location. Assetname is always the same but the MAC Adress is every time different. And the MAC Adress is wrong.

The device is a HP Thin Client t510. Lansweeper can read the insalled Software. and i have no error on the device.

Scatt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
If you are scanning thin clients, you might need to disable SSH on the affected IP range (you can do this under Configuration\Scanning methods, section IP Address Range scanning) and scan the asset with SNMP. That should provide the correct MAC address. Lansweeper uses the MAC address of the network interface used for scanning as unique identifier. From what you describe it seems that the Linux machines provide virtual MAC addresses. SNMP needs to be enabled on the thin clients. Details on how to scan network devices can be found in this KB article.
Note: Lansweeper reads the MAC address of network devices from ARP tables if the scanning server is in the same subnet as scanned devices. If you are scanning other subnets, that won't work any more.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
If you are scanning thin clients, you might need to disable SSH on the affected IP range (you can do this under Configuration\Scanning methods, section IP Address Range scanning) and scan the asset with SNMP. That should provide the correct MAC address. Lansweeper uses the MAC address of the network interface used for scanning as unique identifier. From what you describe it seems that the Linux machines provide virtual MAC addresses. SNMP needs to be enabled on the thin clients. Details on how to scan network devices can be found in this KB article.
Note: Lansweeper reads the MAC address of network devices from ARP tables if the scanning server is in the same subnet as scanned devices. If you are scanning other subnets, that won't work any more.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now