cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwrobo09
Champion Sweeper
I am trying to create a pool of PCs, so that I know where I have spares available. After I am done setting up the device and get it scanned into Lansweeper, I shut down the device and then click edit asset link and change the State from Active to Spare or Stock. After a few days, those assets that were changed reappear as active. I know that if Lansweeper sees a device come online, it will change it to active and that is great, but these machines are locked in a closet and not turned on.

I looked at the devices that have reverted to active, and the last seen date is when I shut down the PC and put in the closet. Lansweeper has tried to scan the PC since the last time it was found but unsuccessful in rescanning.

I attempted to manually rescan a device that I had marked as spare and even though the device was not on the network and was not found the device was changed from spare back to active. Hope this helps.

I am using 5.2.27 version.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
The "Automatically make non-active computers active when they are rescanned" cleanup option looks at whether or not a machine is active (i.e. exists and is pingable) in the network. It doesn't look at Active Directory objects.

Could you update to the latest Lansweeper release and see if the issue persists. There were some bugs in older releases that would cause Lansweeper to incorrectly identify machines as active.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
mwrobo09
Champion Sweeper
I will download the latest version and try it out.

Thank you, your excellent support is one of the many reasons why I love your software.
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
The "Automatically make non-active computers active when they are rescanned" cleanup option looks at whether or not a machine is active (i.e. exists and is pingable) in the network. It doesn't look at Active Directory objects.

Could you update to the latest Lansweeper release and see if the issue persists. There were some bugs in older releases that would cause Lansweeper to incorrectly identify machines as active.
Susan.A wrote:

This is also happening for me. I configure an asset's state (printer) as "Don't show" and it reverted back to Active in less than a fortnight.
I have the updated version v5.2.41
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
jeffrobot wrote:
Susan.A wrote:

This is also happening for me. I configure an asset's state (printer) as "Don't show" and it reverted back to Active in less than a fortnight.
I have the updated version v5.2.41

Have you reviewed the asset's "last seen" date to determine when it was last scanned? If the specified asset is still active in the network and being rescanned and if the "Automatically make non-active assets active when they are rescanned" cleanup option is enabled, what you are seeing is expected behavior.
Susan.A wrote:

Have you reviewed the asset's "last seen" date to determine when it was last scanned? If the specified asset is still active in the network and being rescanned and if the "Automatically make non-active assets active when they are rescanned" cleanup option is enabled, what you are seeing is expected behavior.

Yes, the last seen time is there, but I have created an asset type "Ignore from Scanning" and under configuration have set it to exclude this specific asset type from scans (which I thought would stop it from changing the "Don't show" state -_-).

Anyway, when on the assets page it even says "This asset's type is excluded from scanning!".
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
jeffrobot wrote:
Yes, the last seen time is there, but I have created an asset type "Ignore from Scanning" and under configuration have set it to exclude this specific asset type from scans (which I thought would stop it from changing the "Don't show" state -_-).

Anyway, when on the assets page it even says "This asset's type is excluded from scanning!".

Asset type exclusions look at the asset type that was originally detected, not the asset type you manually assigned. Despite what the asset page is claiming, the asset is not actually excluded from scanning. Your exclusion will basically have no effect, because it will only affect assets that were *originally* detected as "Ignore from Scanning" and assets are never detected as such during scanning.

I realize this is confusing. I've asked development to implement the following changes in one of our future releases:
  • Asset type exclusions should take an asset's currently configured asset type into account, not the asset type that was originally detected by Lansweeper.
  • The "automatically make non-active assets active when they are rescanned" cleanup option should only affect assets that are set to "non-active", not all states that are not "active".

For now, I recommend that you either:
  • Disable the "automatically make non-active assets active when they are rescanned" cleanup option under Configuration\Scanning Setup\Server Options.
  • Ensure that the printer isn't rescanned, either by adjusting your scanned IP ranges in the IP Address Range Scanning section of Configuration\Scanning Setup\Scanning Methods or by configuring an IP exclusion.
mwrobo09
Champion Sweeper
Yes these computers are in a domain. Shouldn't that field be tied to the last scanned date and not active directory?
AdmJLovejoy
Champion Sweeper
Are the PCs joined to a Domain? If so, Lansweeper is seeing the Active Computer Account in AD, and thus explains the State Change.
Thanks, Jim Lovejoy __________________________________________________________________________________________________ James W. Lovejoy | IBM - Cloud Managed Services Delivery | Infrastructure Architect (Windows Server ...