cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lionelcassin
Engaged Sweeper
I am using a trial version of 5222. I have an iMac on my test network, and I created a standard (i.e., non-admin) user "Lansweeper" on that iMac. I then scanned that iMac with Lansweeper and got lots of information - serial number, OS, installed software, drive shares, etc.

I then changed the Lansweeper account to be admin by checking the box "allow this account to administer this computer." I then rescanned the iMac and saw no difference in the information returned by the scan.

The Lansweeper manual says that the scanning account created on an Apple device must have admin privileges, but that does not appear to be the case. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Lionel Cassin
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
FYI for everyone: some further testing in our own environment does seem to confirm that a Standard account should be sufficient for remote access to the system_profiler command. An updated and detailed article regarding OS X scanning requirements can be found here.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
FYI for everyone: some further testing in our own environment does seem to confirm that a Standard account should be sufficient for remote access to the system_profiler command. An updated and detailed article regarding OS X scanning requirements can be found here.
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Lansweeper pulls Mac data from the machine’s System Profiler. Apple’s knowledge base isn’t entirely clear on whether admin privileges are required, but as long as you can run system_profiler you should be good to go. More info on the command can be found here: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/system_profiler.8.html