cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdteichmer
Engaged Sweeper II
I have two Cisco/Linksys SWR2048 switches. I add one to Lansweeper and then run a rescan to get the interface list. After doing that, I add the second switch and do the same. The interface comes back telling me that it cannot find the requested asset and has overwritten the previous asset.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
If the problem switches share 00:14:BF:5F:AC:F1, you can execute the script below in the Lansweeper web console under Configuration\Scanning Setup\Database Scripts to blacklist this MAC. This will prevent the MAC address from being used to uniquely identify devices and will allow both switches to be added to the database.

As Lansweeper uses MACs to uniquely identify non-Windows assets, the best solution is to blacklist common MACs (which should be a rare occurrence). A number of MACs known to be shared by devices are automatically blacklisted.
INSERT INTO tsysMacBlacklist (Mac, Comment) VALUES ('00:14:BF:5F:AC:F1', 'SWR2048')
GO
UPDATE tsysupdate SET MacBlacklist = GETDATE()
GO

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
We haven't heard back from you, so we'll consider this resolved.
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Reply sent via email:
The switches don't just share 00:14:BF:5F:AC:F1. They share a whole bunch of other MAC addresses as well. You'll need to blacklist all of these common MACs, with the script attached to this email. Rescan both switches afterwards by hitting the Scan All Enabled IP Ranges Now button under IP Address Range Scanning.
jdteichmer
Engaged Sweeper II
Susan,

I sent the information.
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Lansweeper won't stop scanning the MAC address. It should simply stop trying to use it to uniquely identify assets, which should allow both switches to be scanned.

If the issue persists, please send the information requested in my initial post to support@lansweeper.com
jdteichmer
Engaged Sweeper II
Susan,

This does not work as expected, in fact, it didn't work at all. The MAC was entered in the tsysMacBlacklist table but is not blocked from scans.
jdteichmer
Engaged Sweeper II
Thank you! I will give that a try.
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
If the problem switches share 00:14:BF:5F:AC:F1, you can execute the script below in the Lansweeper web console under Configuration\Scanning Setup\Database Scripts to blacklist this MAC. This will prevent the MAC address from being used to uniquely identify devices and will allow both switches to be added to the database.

As Lansweeper uses MACs to uniquely identify non-Windows assets, the best solution is to blacklist common MACs (which should be a rare occurrence). A number of MACs known to be shared by devices are automatically blacklisted.
INSERT INTO tsysMacBlacklist (Mac, Comment) VALUES ('00:14:BF:5F:AC:F1', 'SWR2048')
GO
UPDATE tsysupdate SET MacBlacklist = GETDATE()
GO
jdteichmer
Engaged Sweeper II
This is where I believe it is failing. I changed the SNMP view on the switch with MAC 00:14:BF:5F:AC:E4 to NOT included interfaces and it is not properly added to the asset list. This is an issue, since I am unable to scan the full resources of the switch.
jdteichmer
Engaged Sweeper II
Here is the log entry in the errorlog.txt after repeating the event.

02/26/2015 09:11:10: Removing duplicate asset with id 580 and unique 192.168.1.250\1 while scanning 192.168.1.250, writing to asset with id 575 and unique 00:14:BF:5F:AC:F1 instead.
02/26/2015 09:31:18: Removing duplicate asset with id 581 and unique 192.168.1.251\1 while scanning 192.168.1.251, writing to asset with id 575 and unique 00:14:BF:5F:AC:E4 instead.

After running the scan tool, it has revealed that there are duplicate mac addresses in play at the port level (assigned per port by the switch). The switches unique mac addresses (above) are so close, when 5F:AC:E4 distributes port mac assignments, they over lap with 5F:AC:F1. Could the asset scan utility in Lansweeper not properly deal with this?

This is from the switch who's primary MAC is 00:14:BF:5F:AC:E4. Int 13 matches the primary MAC for the second switch.
Interface 13:
Description: Ethernet Interface
MAC: 00 14 BF 5F AC F1
Uplink: False
MTU: 1500
Speed: 1000000000
Type: 6
Vlans: Vlan 1
Adminstatus: 1

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now