cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matt8
Engaged Sweeper III
A feature I would love is for asset ownership to be not overwritten on a change, but logged somewhere for historical purposes. For example, I might reassign a device to another user but someday need to see who had it before them. Currently, I make comments on the asset but that is hardly a great system.

I feel like historical logging of an asset's past is something crucial for an inventory system.
14 REPLIES 14
roberto_m
Engaged Sweeper III
hi Jacob, thanks for the reply, but ˜60% of our environment is running macOS and LS currently doesn't show the user logon information for this OS. So this solution would not work for me entirely.
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
In theory, you could use Windows: User logons detected during scanning in last 7 days, but without the 7 day limitation

and then modify 'Delete logon information after' from 240 (default) to something greater...

then you can filter by the assetname and see the logon when scanning (not actually all logons) history and tell who was using it in the past...

keep in mind that expanding the history from 240 days will grow the table size - and potentially if you use LSPUSH (or the new lsagent? i don't know I can't use the agent due to .net limitations) and grab all logons... would be larger.

roberto_m
Engaged Sweeper III
Hello, was this released at some point?

I find myself in the same situation as Matt. I would like to have the ability to keep track of the previous owners, but keeping them in the User Relation would mess with reports. So it would be good to have a separate table to keep track of this:
- User
- Asset
- Start Relation Date
- End Relation Date

Thanks.
Matt8
Engaged Sweeper III
Thanks for the consideration with this!
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
We already added the additional date field to the wish list
No release date though.
Matt8
Engaged Sweeper III
If there was truly an end date, I could see that workaround as a solution. With only one date though, I either have to put the "end date" in the comments or I lose my original date, which I don't want to do.
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
It seems counterintuitive though to see relation histories on asset pages but not user pages, especially if your goal is to track changes. A better solution might be to "gray out" old relations instead and/or mark them as inactive. We'll add this to the wish list, but this will probably have low priority to be honest. You can use the date field to track relation end dates for now. When viewing a user page, you'll know the relation is no longer "active" if there's an old date listed.
Matt8
Engaged Sweeper III
That would be great if anything in the date field meant the ownership was gone.

Asset A owned by Bob, end date 1/30/2015
Asset A owned by Ted

Visit Bob's profile and it does not show he owns Asset A.

That would be perfect! The current way is just too confusing if you look at asset owned by a user from the user's page.
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
There is a date field for each relation, which you can use to track the relation end date. This would help you determine that "Bob" no longer owns Asset A. The only potential improvement we see is to maybe add an additional date field, so you have one field for the start date and one for the end date. (The current date field is meant as a start date, but you could use it to store end dates instead.)