cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matt8
Engaged Sweeper III
A feature I would love is for asset ownership to be not overwritten on a change, but logged somewhere for historical purposes. For example, I might reassign a device to another user but someday need to see who had it before them. Currently, I make comments on the asset but that is hardly a great system.

I feel like historical logging of an asset's past is something crucial for an inventory system.
14 REPLIES 14
Matt8
Engaged Sweeper III
Which is basically what we are doing now, hence my request for the history capability.
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
If you remove a User Relation from an asset, no history will be saved indeed. What you could do is to add a comment to the relation which is being replaced, so you see it also on your user pages.
Matt8
Engaged Sweeper III
Asset A owned by Bob
Asset A owned by Ted

Just to add to this, I tested and if I go to "Bob's" page, it will show they still own Asset A even though it has been assigned to Ted.

This isn't accurate so this isn't really a solution.
Matt8
Engaged Sweeper III
Asset ownership is what I mean - I must be failing to understand where the history is stored? If I add another owner, I have been deleting the old one - perhaps that isn't the way this is designed to work.

If I don't delete the old one, does the new asset ownership overwrite the old one on the user page? For example:

Asset A owned by Bob
Asset A owned by Ted

If I click Bob's page, will it say he owns Asset A still?
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
We're not sure what you mean by asset ownership being "overwritten on a change". The Summary tab of Windows computer webpages only lists the last logged on user, if this is what you're referring to. Previous logins can be found under Config/User Info/Last Logon however.

If you would like to manually track asset ownership, we would recommend using asset relations, not comments. This feature allows you to keep a history as well, e.g.:

January 20th: Asset A assigned to user A
January 21st: Asset A assigned to user B
etc.