cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GMFDE
Engaged Sweeper III
I have a random domain pop up on my dashboard domain overview. Where domain name is x.y.com our overview should show domain of "y". Most of my machines fall under this group, but I have a small number of machines showing up under "x" which makes no sense at all and isn't even a qualified domain name by itself. I've checked local machines and confirmed the domain name is correct but oddly enough dropping the machine off the domain and re-adding it corrects the reporting error and it no longer shows up under "x" domain. It then correctly appears under "y" domain as intended.

I'm aware this my be convoluted but I can share more directly via email.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Filip_V
Lansweeper Alumni
This problem will only occur when scanning IP ranges, it will not occur when using other scanning methods such as Active scanning or Scheduled Scanning.

Lansweeper notices that x.y.com is a DNS and tries to get the netbios name of the domain. If all methods of doing this fail it will as a last resort just take the first part of the DNS (which is correct in most cases). There is an easy way to fix this, go to Configuration > Scanning Methods > Active Scanning and add the domain DNS and netbios. Active scanning does not need to be enabled for this, simply adding the domain and rescanning the IP range should do the trick.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Filip_V
Lansweeper Alumni
This problem will only occur when scanning IP ranges, it will not occur when using other scanning methods such as Active scanning or Scheduled Scanning.

Lansweeper notices that x.y.com is a DNS and tries to get the netbios name of the domain. If all methods of doing this fail it will as a last resort just take the first part of the DNS (which is correct in most cases). There is an easy way to fix this, go to Configuration > Scanning Methods > Active Scanning and add the domain DNS and netbios. Active scanning does not need to be enabled for this, simply adding the domain and rescanning the IP range should do the trick.